How to get the torts to like Mazuri

Maryalice

Location (City and/or State)
Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippinex
I have been (trying) to feed my 2 baby torts soaked mazuri wrapped in veggie leaves then sliced up. So that they will be forced to eat them, I withold their salads (mixture of grass and low-oxalate, low-protein veggie leaves) for a while. However they eat only a couple of mouthfuls and use the leaf-wrapped mazuri as beds. So after a while, I give up and give them their salads, which they gobble up. I do this twice a week. I know the salads are their natural foods and are far more appropriate for them, but I am so impatient for them to grow faster, thus the mazuri. They are now 119 gms and 125gms, and 3.2 inches in length, at 7 months and 5 months, respectively. Would anyone have other "tricks" to get their torts to like Mazuri more?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What types of tortoises are they? Which type of Mazuri is it?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Oh. Now I see the details. It's 5M21 original formula.
Usually you have to do the opposite... chop up their greens & mash them in with the softened mazuri because they won't eat the greens but luv the Mazuri. Mazuri should really be used once or twice a week. Your torts need the grasses, weeds, leaves, greens , etc that they eat in the wild. Are you soaking them & keeping them hydrated? How are your temp & humidity levels? Are you keeping the two torts housed together? Are they being kept inside or outside?

You should be using our care sheets as guidelines for caring for them which discusses recommended diet. Keeping them together may be very stressful to both due to bullying, which can also slow one or both's development.

More info, photos would help us help you.

Maryalice

Usually you have to do the opposite... chop up their greens & mash them in with the softened mazuri because they won't eat the greens but luv the Mazuri. Mazuri should really be used once or twice a week. Your torts need the grasses, weeds, leaves, greens , etc that they eat in the wild. Are you soaking them & keeping them hydrated? How are your temp & humidity levels? Are you keeping the two torts housed together? Are they being kept inside or outside?

You should be using our care sheets as guidelines for caring for them which discusses recommended diet. Keeping them together may be very stressful to both due to bullying, which can also slow one or both's development.

More info, photos would help us help you.
My torts are mainly grass and veggie eaters and are able to eat some mazuri when i wrap the soaked pellets in leaves and cut them up like thin sushi. They are housed in separate, almost-closed glass enclosures with correct humidity and temps, are well hydrated, get their daily soaks and uv exposure. They have no issues at the moment as they are thriving and steadily gaining weight every week. I just need some tips and tricks to get them to like Mazuri (which i give 2x a week) as I want them to grow faster. But as I said, they eat very little Mazuri and would prefer their salads of grasses, veggies, and some "fruits" (squash, cucumber, and zucchini).

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'd try to soak the mazuri in warm water, and serve it mushed up with chopped papaya and watermelon chunks of various sizes... I'd be astonished if they didn't go for it after a time or two.

Jamie

Maryalice

I'd try to soak the mazuri in warm water, and serve it mushed up with chopped papaya and watermelon chunks of various sizes... I'd be astonished if they didn't go for it after a time or two.

Jamie
Thanks. I can try that. My torts haven’t tried papaya or watermelon as I think these fruits are high in sugar. But will give it a try.
That's the formula that most tortoises love.
Offer it a few more times. They should go crazy once they taste it.
I have been offering it for about 3 months now -soaked pellets wrapped in the veggie leaf of the day, and sliced like tiny sushis. No takers. They’re polite though - they would eat just a couple of mouthfuls just to show you they tried it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks. I can try that. My torts haven’t tried papaya or watermelon as I think these fruits are high in sugar. But will give it a try.

I have been offering it for about 3 months now -soaked pellets wrapped in the veggie leaf of the day, and sliced like tiny sushis. No takers. They’re polite though - they would eat just a couple of mouthfuls just to show you they tried it.
Wow
That's a rare case

tortlvr

Today is my birthday!
San Diego Ca
I have been (trying) to feed my 2 baby torts soaked mazuri wrapped in veggie leaves then sliced up. So that they will be forced to eat them, I withold their salads (mixture of grass and low-oxalate, low-protein veggie leaves) for a while. However they eat only a couple of mouthfuls and use the leaf-wrapped mazuri as beds. So after a while, I give up and give them their salads, which they gobble up. I do this twice a week. I know the salads are their natural foods and are far more appropriate for them, but I am so impatient for them to grow faster, thus the mazuri. They are now 119 gms and 125gms, and 3.2 inches in length, at 7 months and 5 months, respectively. Would anyone have other "tricks" to get their torts to like Mazuri more?
You may regret wanting them to grow too fast. Enjoy their natural progression.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Papaya is good for Redfoots, but not for Sulcatas. If you are providing a good overall feed to your Sulcata, consisting of mostly grasses, weeds, flowers, etc - there really isnt requirement/need to get them to eat Mazuri. Mazuri does contain all kinds of micro- nutrients & minerals etc, that are good supplements.

No need to rush their growth and make sure you aren’t housing them together in the same enclosure.

Good luck.

Maryalice

Wow
That's a rare case
I tried giving them a newly bought pack of 5M21 (because the old pack is about 3 months old, although it will be expiring on jan 2022). Still the same reaction -- they eat a couple of mouthfuls then sit on it, enjoying its coolness. When i give them their regular mixture of greens (grasses with leafy green veggies), they gladly leave their bed of soaked mazuri and go for their greens. My torts are not normal.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
This is an interesting subject because most would advise to manipulate mazuri into the diet as a staple. My russian who is from Petsmart hates Mazuri. My hatchling western hermann’s LOVES mazuri. In fact, if I do not feed him his Mazuri once a week, he will get mad and throw a tantrum and he will act like he is eating the bark in the enclosure because it is similar to Mazuri to fool me and get me annoyed with him so I can get Mango what he wants (moist mazuri).

Maryalice

So my torts are normal (for not liking Mazuri) after all, judging from a number of posts here that say their torts, too, are not keen on mazuri. I am not replacing their healthy greens with mazuri - just want them to learn to eat all good things in case their favorites are not available. I also want them to benefit from the added nutrition in mazuri.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is an interesting subject because most would advise to manipulate mazuri into the diet as a staple. My russian who is from Petsmart hates Mazuri. My hatchling western hermann’s LOVES mazuri. In fact, if I do not feed him his Mazuri once a week, he will get mad and throw a tantrum and he will act like he is eating the bark in the enclosure because it is similar to Mazuri to fool me and get me annoyed with him so I can get Mango what he wants (moist mazuri).
Russians seem to be the exception when it comes to Mazuri.
I've read that many members Russian tortoises actually prefer the Mazuri type LS.
Most tortoises prefer the 5M21