how to get through canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
O.K. need some help please!! I hope someone can answer this cause i am sooo confused!
o.k. heres the problem. We are going back to california. we live in Alaska. How do i get my little russian tortoise through Canada? They run you in circles telling us to call this person and call that person! why cant they just tell me what they need? The web is useless, I am soo confused ! I dont want to get to the border and have them take him cause i dont have the right paper work. I have the reciept of where and when i got him. do i need a vet health certificate? do i need a permit? Oh please can someone help me with this? I will not leave my buddy here in alaska! California is waiting!!
thanks!

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
CITES Papers are what you need to travel across borders with tortoises, how you get them I haven't got a clue. I hope someone else can tell you. Good luck! :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Ship the tortoise to someone that you know at the destination that you're going to. Animal shipping from Alaska to California is perfectly legal. Smuggling it through customs from one country to another is not.
They can ask you to open boxes and whatever else you have in your vehicle. If the one with the tortoise gets opened they will ask you for health certificates and other documentation. If you don't have it, they can confiscate the animal. There is no guarantee that they will, but there is also no guarantee that they won't.
And if they do ask if you have any animals and then find one, they can (and most likely will) detain you for hours while they methodically tear your personal belongings and vehicle apart.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
SamB said:
Where in Cali? Maybe ship him to someone?

unfornately there isnt anyone i can ship him too. No one i can trust anyway.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
got passports?
Id ship him. why risk getting stopped? your tortoise's life would be at stake..
There are a lot of calif people here... of course there is always some risk in shipping too.. but life is risk. You could get in an accident driving too..
How many days will you be in the car? how are you housing? keeping warm, or cool if its hot. You cant leave him in the car if you stop if its too hot outside.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
Sara, sent you an email. Are you coming thru the border at Blaine?(near Bellingham?)

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
Ok just called for you, Russians are CITIES level 2 and you DO need a permit for international travel, it is $75. and good for multiple trips and
is good for three years BUT each time you cross the border it is a $331. fee.`
As per Mike Williams import/export work at fish and game. 360-332-5388
If you need to call he gave me permission to post his name and number but would like folks to know
he doesn't do the care/feed info/advice, etc he is the inspector for import/export.
So you're looking at a few hundred dollars. You can call 703-358-2104 for the CITIES permit.
(EST cause it's in Virginia.

OR you can fly it state to state in which no CITIES permit is required.
I emailed you, I am willing to let you fly it to me in Seattle and you can pick it up on your way down to Cali.
I have a place separate from my torts so call me I emailed you my number if I can help.
The wildllife man said Alaska Airlines but you HAVE to remind the airlines to put the crate in a heated hold otherwise it may freeze and die. And he suggested heat packs.

Now this is JUST the US. Here is a Canadian number to see what they require.
601-538-3611
But just the US alone you're looking at $400 to $500. in fees and permits.
You may also want to call California and see if they require anything.
I'm working on that now for you, will post numbers shortly

Just called the man at fish and wildlife in Ca, and no worries for bringing it into CA from another US state.
So you can either get a CITIES level 2 permit ($75 for permit and $331. entry fee) and also try to follow up with the Canadian
folks to see their requirement or you can ship to someone you may know in
California, you can ship to me if you want, or someone else.
I wouldn't charge you anything to babysit it for 3 or 4 days. I just would prefer you ship it just before you
come, the day before of day of.
And if you ship it to someone make sure you tell Alaska to put it in the heated hold
DO NOT assume they will remember. And ad a heat pack.
Good Luck with it all.
OK off to my mom, just stopped home for a few and checked emails and forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.