how to grow food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repti82

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
what do you think would be best and easiest to grow for my tortoise? any ways on getting weeds and such that they dont sell in the nurseries? and how should i grow them? in with my tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Carolina pet supply sells seeds. In the winter time I grew mine indoors in the enclosure, with coconut coir as the substrate. Outdoors I grow it in his enclosures also.

Almost forgot. We like pictures. You should share the animals pics you have listed in you signature with us:D

Beautiful chameleon.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Bird seed tend to have a nice variety as well, I've planted a decent amount in my tortoises in and outdoor enclosures.
Unfortunately she isn't too big on grasses, which is the majority of the seed, but sulcatas love grass!

And I believe that is the kind of tort you are looking into.

Repti82

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Grape vines, spineless opuntia cactus, mulberry trees, pasture mixes from peaceful valley farms, and Russian tortoise mix from Tyler at tortoisesupply.com all grow very well for me. Depending on your area, you could also try some hibiscus or some clover mixes too.

Repti82

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Tom said:
Grape vines, spineless opuntia cactus, mulberry trees, pasture mixes from peaceful valley farms, and Russian tortoise mix from Tyler at tortoisesupply.com all grow very well for me. Depending on your area, you could also try some hibiscus or some clover mixes too.

where would i ger clover?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
If you look at tortoisesupply.com, the seeds are available in the mixes and separately. I'm not sure he has clover sold separately, but you could look at his list and find out. I am currently using red clover purchased from carolinapetsupply last year. My neighbor gave me a jar of white clover he'd stored in his shed for five years. I thought that would be a little long under poor conditions for germination, so I scattered it all over my yard. Yep, it's up and blooming:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Repti82 said:
Tom said:

http://tortoisesupply.com/ -great mixes

http://groworganic.com/ -individual types

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Repti82 said:
Tom said:

Along with the places mentioned, a lot of feed stores/farm supplies, garden centers, and nurseries will sell clover. There are also several different varieties to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.