How to grow moss in tub enclosure (having substrate issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Near Disneyland
Hello All,
Would like some advice on how to grow moss in my box hatchling tub enclosure. My boxie hatchlings are very tiny and they roam around their entire tub, sometimes they go in the water and then they walk around and have the coir/peat moss all over themselves I am hoping growing live moss in the tub may stop the messy substrate being tracked in their water dish, food dish and the substrate from sticking to them.

If anyone has a ideal of a better substrate mix let me know. I can't find organic potting soil without fertilizer or perlite in it. The dirt at my home is clay with tons of rocks and pebbles in it. :(

Here is info on the boxie enclosure:
1. The top layer of the substrate is finely shredded coir and peat moss, with a small portion of dirt mixed in. Long stranded spag moss is layed out on top of the substrate for the boxies to walk on and hide under.
2. It's outside under a covered patio so it gets shaded sunlight all day.
3. The tub has bio substrate with the water and clay balls at bottom to keep the tub warm and humid. Humidity is between 80-99% depending on how much I uncover the tank.
4. Temps ranges at night 67F to day about 78F (heat mat under tub)
CHF on one side of the tub with temp controller set to 85F during the day and 80F at night.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your replies.
:tort:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I don't know about growing moss in a turtle tub, since my torts are desert dwellers... BUT I grow moss in my garden (on purpose, I mean). To get moss started on a rock or a larger area, I take a clump of moss that I like, and throw it in the blender with some buttermilk (moss likes acidic pH). Then I just pour it over rocks etc. and within a few weeks, I have new moss growing there!

The easier way would be to transplant moss sheets - collect it off of rocks in large pieces, and if you're lucky, you might be able to dig large squares off of some shaded dirt (I used a snow shovel).

Just make sure you keep the moss moist - shouldn't be hard with such high humidity as you have in your tub. :)

janevicki said:
Hello All,
Would like some advice on how to grow moss in my box hatchling tub enclosure. My boxie hatchlings are very tiny and they roam around their entire tub, sometimes they go in the water and then they walk around and have the coir/peat moss all over themselves I am hoping growing live moss in the tub may stop the messy substrate being tracked in their water dish, food dish and the substrate from sticking to them.

If anyone has a ideal of a better substrate mix let me know. I can't find organic potting soil without fertilizer or perlite in it. The dirt at my home is clay with tons of rocks and pebbles in it. :(

Here is info on the boxie enclosure:
1. The top layer of the substrate is finely shredded coir and peat moss, with a small portion of dirt mixed in. Long stranded spag moss is layed out on top of the substrate for the boxies to walk on and hide under.
2. It's outside under a covered patio so it gets shaded sunlight all day.
3. The tub has bio substrate with the water and clay balls at bottom to keep the tub warm and humid. Humidity is between 80-99% depending on how much I uncover the tank.
4. Temps ranges at night 67F to day about 78F (heat mat under tub)
CHF on one side of the tub with temp controller set to 85F during the day and 80F at night.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your replies.
:tort:

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
biochemnerd808 -
Thanks for your reply, going to get me some live moss and give it a try!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.