how to heat a large indoor enclosure?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
what would be the best way to heat a large indoor enclosure? 4x8? i have 2 heating element 125w and 150w that seem to just be keeping it at 80

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What kind of tortoise do you have? My enclosure is not nearly that big and I was having trouble heating it. You may have to make your enclosure at least partially closed to help keep the heat in. They do make the CHE up to 250 W I think and I have seen chicken brood lamps at 250 W also. That might be a little too warm but it could be an option in some situations.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
What kind of tortoise do you have? My enclosure is not nearly that big and I was having trouble heating it. You may have to make your enclosure at least partially closed to help keep the heat in. They do make the CHE up to 250 W I think and I have seen chicken brood lamps at 250 W also. That might be a little too warm but it could be an option in some situations.

a redfoot and it is a closed chamber i made it myself im thinking that because the top is plastic and not wood i maybe losing heat?

i never had problems heating my previous enclosure this is a new build

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do you have a picture of it?what kind of plastic are you using? Is it like plexiglass or shower curtain or hard plastic?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Maybe try to or three layers of it. I know Yvonne said she has used tinfoil. I have never done a close chamber so I don't know where the happy medium between air circulation and keeping the heat in is.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Maybe try to or three layers of it. I know Yvonne said she has used tinfoil. I have never done a close chamber so I don't know where the happy medium between air circulation and keeping the heat in is.

yeah i will probably just buy something to use as a lid tomorrow that would alot of tin foil lol

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have a 4 x 8 ft plywood enclosure for my redfoots but thet are not in it very much. When it does get cold at night in the winter I have 3 100 watt heat emitters that do just fine. depending how cold it is I may not turn tem all on, A 250 watt heat emitter just produces to much heat for me and I dont want to start a fire. I would cover your enclosure with plywood if you can, you can cut holes in it for the heat emitters just make sure they are secured to the plywood goog

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I have a 4 x 8 ft plywood enclosure for my redfoots but thet are not in it very much. When it does get cold at night in the winter I have 3 100 watt heat emitters that do just fine. depending how cold it is I may not turn tem all on, A 250 watt heat emitter just produces to much heat for me and I dont want to start a fire. I would cover your enclosure with plywood if you can, you can cut holes in it for the heat emitters just make sure they are secured to the plywood goog

yeah i'm going to cover the top tomorrow with wood instead of plastic and see the CHE's are actualy in it, it's tall enough to all it it's 4'x8'x37"

i'm really happy with the enclosure itself i just wish i had bought a top from the get go because i suspect that's my problem is the top is plastic

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
yeah i'm going to cover the top tomorrow with wood instead of plastic and see the CHE's are actualy in it, it's tall enough to all it it's 4'x8'x37"

i'm really happy with the enclosure itself i just wish i had bought a top from the get go because i suspect that's my problem is the top is plastic

Ya the heat just goes up and out

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I use a pc of foam insulation board as lids for my enclosed chambers. Works great.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I hate using plywood. Can't clean it. Once it gets contaminated, you are s.o.l.
I have gone strictly to PVC material that can be cleaned if necessary. 2 125W halogen lamps should generate enough heat at either end of the enclosure. I have a space heater that runs during the cold months as well to get the ambient temp in the room up to 90F. Gottta have 2 humidifiers running all the time to get the humidity up with that kind of temp.