How to heat during a power outage???

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I live in SE Georgia, and we are about to have an ice storm come through. I was just wondering, in the case of a several day long power outage, how will I keep my 2 sulcatas warm??? I'm really worried. :(

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I always order those 40 hour heat packs every fall in case of power outages. I then keep an appropriate sized Rubbermaid bin for each animal. This way if the power goes out they each go into their bin with one or two heat packs depending on the size of the reptile/bin. You can try a sporting goods store and see if they have those hand warmers and accomplish basically the same thing.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
How big are they? I have one tort that is about 5" and the other is about 19"

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Our last power outage lasted 6 days it was 3 years ago. So I only had my sully. I mixed this car jumper battery thing and I got one I think 1400 watts and I used a under the tank heater. It worked fine. A couple times I had to run the battery over to the gas station and charge it for an hour. Or a friends house. But I was able to keep her warm. We haven't had a power outage in a while. ImageUploadedByTortForum1390917056.478488.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390917065.247297.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kameo37

5 Year Member
We had a 2 day power outage recently. At first we had all of the herps by the fire with a temp probe. It was stressful. We ended up slippy sliding on the ice to a friend's house. Then we got a generator for next time. ;)

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
This is how we handled our power outage. I just monitored there temps with a laser thermometer.

Attachments

• P1000357.JPG
    P1000357.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 103

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
tortoisetime565 said:
The sulcata on the far right is like ahhhhhhh!

I like your battery idea too. I have a battery kit with inverter built in for my some photography lights.. I could just use that and plug in my heat mats to since they are such low wattage.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Thanks. I was only able to run one heater. But for my aquatics I constantly pumped out water and replaced with warm. I didn't think of the fire idea at all. Thanks for your share!

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
mushmouth26 said:
This is how we handled our power outage. I just monitored there temps with a laser thermometer.

I also should mention I sprayed them down with water every few hours since the fire is a dry heat. Didnt want them to get dehydrated.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you still have hot water in the tank, fill up gallon jugs and sit the entire jug with a cap in the enclosure, or into a cooler that's well insulated.

Jenblalock003

omgdoubletacos said:
I live in SE Georgia, and we are about to have an ice storm come through. I was just wondering, in the case of a several day long power outage, how will I keep my 2 sulcatas warm??? I'm really worried. :(

I'm in Louisiana, same storm. I'm worried about outages too but this is my plan if that happens:
I have like 30 hand warmers. I also have an adapter that I can plug up in my car and put them (babies) inside a small 20 gallon tank. We have a generator so I can always use that too. Hopefully no power outages though! Fingers crossed for GA and LA!

argus333

5 Year Member
had no power here after sandy for 22 days and a 8 inch snow storm within that time. i have a generator to run my lights and a wood stove that heats my house. but other tricks u can try are putting candles in a room ( if u are home) if room is small and well insulated they will warm the room. for 1 turtle u can buy a car jump-starter at wall-mart or auto zone and get a inverter and plug in light or che. to it. and recharge it with your car. let as much sunlight into room as u can during daylight hours. also sullys can go down to 65 at night with no problems. my advice is to think about a generator even a small one.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Thanks for all of y'all's ideas! I found some large hand/body warmers at home depot and plan to use them if the power goes out. They are supposed to last for about 40 hours. If that fails I'll see if a friend of mine can take them in for a little bit

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Small generator. Power it up in preparation. Then it's ready to use. I used to have one with a radio and light built in. I need to get another one.