How to help a sullen Sully be happy...

Anna Westphal

Location (City and/or State)
Dolores, Colorado
Hey everyone. I hope this isn't too long of a post, but I am in need of moral support. I obtained my Sulcata tortoise August of last year. I consider it sort of a rescue, although I paid for her. I had stopped by my local pet store to say hello to my friend who owns it and saw her living in a plastic tub. I was told she was 5 years old and had previously spent her life living in a bathtub, but got too big so the family took her to my pal. I spent a sleepless night thinking about how I needed to get this magnificent creature out of there and went back first thing in the morning and brought her home. It was an impulse decision, but one I could not fight. I have had lots of experience with turtles, but Stella was my first contact with Sulcatas, so I had a lot to learn. I have since found out (traumatically) she is a male. After soaking her one day I picked her up and thought she was dying from a prolapsed uterus. After reading the forum and hearing about others experiencing something similar, I googled "tortoise penises" (I am probably on an FBI watch list), I quickly realized Stella was a fella but I think she identifies as female so her name is still Stella. Hope you all understand the humor here.

I have done everything I can to make sure Stella has the very best life possible, which I have always done for any animal in my care. I live in the Colorado high desert and built an enclosed indoor area for her in my workshop with proper heat and humidity and she did very well over the winter. She has significant pyramiding from her dry childhood but it seems to be leveling out a little as she grows. Stella has gained about 8 pounds since I got her. Now that it's warm enough for her to be back outside during the day she has access to 2 very nice big areas where she can graze and burrow. I built a walk-in soaking area for her, which she never uses so I still soak her. I planted the recommended seed mixes for Sulcatas that were recommended on the forum. We have lots of dandelions and hibiscus and pickly pears and board leaf weeds. I supplement with Muzuri and am trying to introduce her to Timothy grass. She still goes inside at night to her moistened coco coir and heat. Basically, I have been reading the forum daily and taken the advise given here and done my very best to do the right thing for Stella.

So, here's my concern/question.DSC01824.JPGDSC02565.JPGDSC03260.JPGDSC03628.JPGDSC03650.JPGDSC03659.JPG Even though she has lots of room to roam during the day, she spends a great deal of time walking the boarder of the fenced areas (wooden and not chain link) back and forth. I understand this is something these tortoises tend to do but it feels like all she wants to do is escape. We have 5 acres and when I take her outside the fenced areas she beelines for a certain corner of the property. I am feeling terrible for her and don't want her to feel like a prisoner. I am used to my animals being very happy with the environment I have provided for them. How do you justify keeping an animal like this in a situation where they just want to get out? Would she have a better life elsewhere? Any support will be appreciated. I love Stella so much and don't want to feel like a captor instead of a care-giver. Any ideas on what more I can do for Stella will also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh Jeeze!!! What a beautiful tortoise! She looks very content to me. Yes, Sulcata walk the perimeter, they don't have a reason for it. Your tort is fine, you are keeping it correctly and if you continue to do that her new growth will be smooth and the pyramiding will look less. Knobby has only been with me for 3 years...

100_3999.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow! You have done an amazing job, and you are a terrific caring person, but you are suffering from a bad case of anthropomorphism.

If you put a sulcata in a five acre pen, they will pace the border and do the same thing. Its what they do. It doesn't mean they are sad or want to escape. The more they run around in larger areas outside of their enclosure, the longer it takes them to settle down and get comfy in their space.

I can't tell from your pics, but the entire fence line around the outdoor enclosure needs to be a visual barrier.

The new growth looks fantastic and this looks likes a very healthy happy sulcata to me.

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
Maggie, Thanks for the kind words. I think Knobby is adorable too. It helps to hear from an experienced person that Stella's behavior might be more a trait of this breed than an innate unhappiness, which is what I worry about when she paces.

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
Wow! You have done an amazing job, and you are a terrific caring person, but you are suffering from a bad case of anthropomorphism.

If you put a sulcata in a five acre pen, they will pace the border and do the same thing. Its what they do. It doesn't mean they are sad or want to escape. The more they run around in larger areas outside of their enclosure, the longer it takes them to settle down and get comfy in their space.

I can't tell from your pics, but the entire fence line around the outdoor enclosure needs to be a visual barrier.

The new growth looks fantastic and this looks likes a very healthy happy sulcata to me.

Tom, Thanks for responding. I always appreciate the advise you give people. There was a section of fence which was open lattice, but I did put up solid board panels along that part because when I first got Stella she was trying to stick her head out through the openings. The wooden fence has almost no space between the boards. Would using cinder blocks in that area help? You are right about my anthropomorphism. As a dog trainer (like you) and a former Doggie Day Care owner, I certainly have come to expect animals to express joy, sorrow, excitement and to bond with people. It sort of hurts my feelings that Stella doesn't seem to like me very much, but I understand how silly that is. I think letting her have time outside her fenced areas might not be a good idea from what you've said. She certainly has plenty of room and maybe getting out on the acerage occasionally just wasn't a good idea. Thanks for your expertise.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
This is a great looking critter!

Tortoises and turtles are Self-Contained and Independent. As keepers/custodians, we have to engage each species on its own terms. And we get to enjoy lots of other Ways of Life.

All sorts of animals patrol their territorial boundaries. Completely natural/normal. They are on the lookout for foods, mates, fresh places to scent mark, nesting sites, problems (flood, fire, predators)...

Keep all precious things (planters, toys, furniture) clear of the walking track. Use this activity as one of the measures of Good Health.

Thanks for rescuing and for doing it so well!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I used to have a 100+lb male Sulcata. I took him to events around town regularly for a good number of years. Petco at Christmas you could get your photo with SClaus for $10 or Bob for $5. He went to Pet Daze at OSU.and reptile show off at PetSmart. If I traveled I took Bob with me. Traumatically, Bob died in 2015. So it's now and I made a comment about something, my sister who is the be all end all of tortoise keeping, she comments after me that Bob kept escaping because I took him around and he wanted that daily. Taking him around stressed him out. And believe me, this big tortoise could escape just like a Russian. He got thru the gate, walked up 8 stairs to the deck, across the deck, down 5 stairs and up the street. Yvonne waited for 5 years to tell me I was anthropomorphising Bob and his unenjoyment at being out and around large groups of people touching him and kids riding on him. I did think Bob liked it.
Bob

100_3426.JPG

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
So sorry Bob is no longer with you. It sounds like you two were quite a team and spread a lot of joy. I like to think he enjoyed it. He seems to be smiling in the picture. Uh oh. There I go anthropomorphizing again. It's a hard habit to break.

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
Five acres of land, lots of grass and weeds, a loving owner = Luckiest tortoise in the world!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I have only just seen your thread, and I wanted to say that I am sure you are giving Stella a wonderful life - she doesn't look cranky to me - just still slightly confused at how her life has changed suddenly to become so much better. She looks contented and is quite beautiful.
We have a 20 year old Hermans tortoise, and we take him everywhere with us - also he gets constant love and affection from us - but I know if we let him wander out of our garden he would do so,because that's what tortoises do - not because he is trying to escape, but because who knows what might be out there ?
Angie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Anna Westphal - In my opinion, the reason Stella da Fella seems to want out of the yard is because you've allowed him to be out and now he knows that there's more to his world than what's inside the fence. Try to keep him inside his yard and eventually he'll settle.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Great looking Tortoise, it is clear you have done everything in your power to give him a great life.

Im going to offer another angle on the perimeter pacing, first, this is kind of what territorial animals do, they man the perimeters to protect their turf. There is also an element of security being near a wall as opposed to being in an open space that influences them, if you break up the sight lines with obstacles this might change the route so to speak. And I also agree with Yvonne, I think torts are pretty smart with regard to their relative interests, once they know there is more outside, they wont soon stop checking for a way out, but there are worse things for them to do than patrol if its a nice big space.

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
I have only just seen your thread, and I wanted to say that I am sure you are giving Stella a wonderful life - she doesn't look cranky to me - just still slightly confused at how her life has changed suddenly to become so much better. She looks contented and is quite beautiful.
We have a 20 year old Hermans tortoise, and we take him everywhere with us - also he gets constant love and affection from us - but I know if we let him wander out of our garden he would do so,because that's what tortoises do - not because he is trying to escape, but because who knows what might be out there ?
Angie
Angie, Thanks for your input and for your kind words. Looking at the pictures of Stella made me realize how much she has grown since I posted the pictures. She did very well over the winter and is now just under 30 pounds. I think she was only about 20 back then and looks like a baby to me when I look back now. I hope you and your tort enjoy a nice spring together.

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
Great looking Tortoise, it is clear you have done everything in your power to give him a great life.

Im going to offer another angle on the perimeter pacing, first, this is kind of what territorial animals do, they man the perimeters to protect their turf. There is also an element of security being near a wall as opposed to being in an open space that influences them, if you break up the sight lines with obstacles this might change the route so to speak. And I also agree with Yvonne, I think torts are pretty smart with regard to their relative interests, once they know there is more outside, they wont soon stop checking for a way out, but there are worse things for them to do than patrol if its a nice big space.
I hadn't thought about the security of being closer to the perimeter rather than out in the open. Makes sense. Thanks for your input.

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
@Anna Westphal - In my opinion, the reason Stella da Fella seems to want out of the yard is because you've allowed him to be out and now he knows that there's more to his world than what's inside the fence. Try to keep him inside his yard and eventually he'll settle.
I like the new moniker - Stella da Fella. I agree that letting him out was a mistake and I won't continue to do that. Thanks.