How to improve my leopard torts home?!

sabrinapg

I have a two year old ish leopard tortoise and he is currently in an aquarium which I now see is not the best thing for him! I want to try and make him something that will help him continue to grow and be healthy.

I am open to building my own habitat for him if I could find some sort of plan or get some advise on what to do! He is about 7 inches long.

His current living space is 18" x 36"

Please help me create a healthy place for Yertle to live! ImageUploadedByTortForum1390408607.462539.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390408720.512495.jpg

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh my...that's way too small for such a large tortoise. Is there any way you can make an outdoor habitat. Usually by the time a tortoise gets to be the size yours is they go outside to live. I have heated sheds for my outside tortoises to go into in cold weather. Here is where my leopard tortoises, including three the same size as yours, live:

11-06-13a_zpsa508539a.jpg

That shed in the background is where they go when its cold. Here's what it looks like inside:

08-02-13d_zps5766df38.jpg

Besides the heat pad on the floor, there's a 250 watt brooder light that comes on at night hanging from the ceiling.

If you really have to have the tortoise indoors, then you must get a bigger habitat. But I'll let someone else talk to you about that, because I just can't imagine keeping a tortoise that size indoors.