How to introduce new foods

Benjtort

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi I’ve had my sulcata for a year and I’d growing nicely at a smooth rate I’m am wondering how to introduce new foods into his diet

Benjtort

Texas
I feed him mazuri (which he won’t eat) and romaine he also loves cactus but how do I get him to eat mazuri and other organic foods such as spring mix and hibiscus

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
If you want it to eat mazuri, smear some on the cactus that it loves. Or cut up the cactus and mix it up with a couple pellets if wet mazuri

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It think chin_lee said it, but I'll explain in more detail.

Get some of your tortoises favorite food and chop it into little tiny pieces. Then wet the pile with some plain water. Then mince up a tiny tiny portion of whatever the new food is and mix it in with the large pile. We are talking about 2-5% here of the new stuff. Hardly any at all. Mix it thoroughly. If your tortoise refuses to eat it, off the same mixture for the next two days. A hungry tortoise is not a picky tortoise. Gradually, over time, increase the ratio of new food to old favorite, until your tortoise redly eats the whole pile.

In time your baby will turn into a garbage disposal and eat everything you put in front of it and ask for more.

Keep up the daily soaks during this time of introducing new foods. That keeps the GI tract moving and the appetite up.