How to keep fire ants at bay?

tinkntoro

5 Year Member
I'm a new tort owner and looking to move the new torts to an outdoor enclosure next spring. I was hoping to hear from others on methods to keep fire ants from harming their torts. I live in SE Texas. Thanks.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I go outside of the enclosure and pour vinegar all around the perimeter. If there is already fire ants, I take the torts out, pour in the cage but not drenched and wait about 24 hours to put them back in.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
DE. Diatemaceous Earth. Get it at your local feed store. Make sure it is food grade and spread it all over the enclosure. After that suround the enclosure with something that is a killer and a repelant. Don't ever spray inside the enclosure.
I had a bunch of fire ants try to invade my garden and I literally squished them in my hand in panic. Then I did the above and have not seen a single ant in there since. The flip side is, I have not seen any good species of insects in there either but it is a trade off I am willing to do.

tinkntoro

5 Year Member
Thanks for the link to thread and the suggestions. I should have done a search before posting...newbie mistake. ;0). Thanks again.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Cowboy_Ken said:
Move where there are none?

Wow! What a blessing that would be. To live fire ant free. What is that like Ken? Us Texans would not know that feeling. I have actually woken up with thousands of them in my bed before!

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Re: RE: How to keep fire ants at bay?

Saleama said:
Cowboy_Ken said:

Wow! What a blessing that would be. To live fire ant free. What is that like Ken? Us Texans would not know that feeling. I have actually woken up with thousands of them in my bed before!

Us texans have a little more ants than most, especially in early fall\late summer

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Here in Oregon, fire ants, I believe, would be “put out". We do have carpenter ants and they are down right destructive.

tinkntoro

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:

Would love to be able to move where there are no fire ants...Antarctica, maybe.;)
But seriously, they tend to pop up in the yard wherever they want. So you might start in an ant free area, and then they migrate in from the neighbor's houses. They are undefeatable...just looking for a stalemate!