How to keep greens fresher, longer?

Kiracynthia

Location (City and/or State)
Alaska
Due to covid-19 I bought a little more greens than usual. Just curious if y’all have any tips to keep greens fresher for longer? Right now I’m doing the layer paper towels and greens in a Tupperware method.

RaeLee

Georgia
That is what I have been doing as well it is hard to keep greens fresh and it will get pricey.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Due to covid-19 I bought a little more greens than usual. Just curious if y’all have any tips to keep greens fresher for longer? Right now I’m doing the layer paper towels and greens in a Tupperware method.

What you are doing is good. Paper towel them very dry, loosely layer in your container. Unbundle anything wrapped tightly. Less moisture, more air flow the better.

jeneliza

burton michigan
Yep, take them out of the fridge, put in water, and cover with a plastic bag, if you got the cut greens and not ones with the root end trim a little off the stem, and put in water and cover, change water every two today's, they should keep for a week or two, maybe longer,

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep, take them out of the fridge, put in water, and cover with a plastic bag, if you got the cut greens and not ones with the root end trim a little off the stem, and put in water and cover, change water every two today's, they should keep for a week or two, maybe longer,

I’m guessing it kind of depends what kind of “greens” one is trying to keep fresh. Loose leaf greens, and greens w/o true stems won’t do well standing in water. So, a lot does depend on the type we are trying to keep fresh.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Most greens freeze well. You can blend (in a blender or food processor) with fruit or a prepared diet. My Red Foots can sometimes be picky about certain types of greens. If I blend the greens with some thing else, they have no problem.

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Olympia, WA

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
You can plump up many greens by giving them a twenty minute submersion/soak in cool water. Dry them very thoroughly again and package as you did before.

It won‘t work on the saddest greens but should give you a few more days or up to a week.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Depends somewhat on who-and-what you are feeding, but greens can be laid out in a single layer and dried (by air or in a dehydrator). This is also a nice way to capitalize on sales, and to put variety up for the winter months.

Be sure the leaves are crumbly-dry before packing in air-tight containers for storage.

jeneliza

burton michigan
I’m guessing it kind of depends what kind of “greens” one is trying to keep fresh. Loose leaf greens, and greens w/o true stems won’t do well standing in water. So, a lot does depend on the type we are trying to keep fresh.
I do it all the time, have to change the water, every other day, though, or they will get slimy,

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I purchased a vintage enamel refrigerator vegetable bin, with the lid. I prep my lettuces put them in and lasts the entire week. Best thing I bought. It holds at least 7 heads of greens.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
This time of year, you can usually get the bottoms of bought lettuces to root in a shallow pan of water, and then regrow leaves in plain turned soil outside. Or in a window planter.

If you can find some sad beets on sale, they will regrow their tops starting in spring as well. These leaves are best-accepted by smaller torts when young and tender; they get tough & bitter (oxalic) as they age.

Attachments

• 20200414_131747_Film2.jpg
    20200414_131747_Film2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6