How to keep heat in habitat?

Teesh

Hi!!! It's Teesh again sorry, but does the UVA UVB warm the place up? I mean the basking is the spot where they sit in for some parts of the day, but how do you make the temperature 65 degrees in the tank or habitat ? Do you make your room that temperature? I am a bit confused... Thanks!!!:p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
The UV ray bulbs do not always provide heat. If you purchase the Mercury Vapor Bulb it provides heat along with the uv rays. If you offer a separate uv ray bulb that is strictly that...then you will need to add either a regular bulb for heat or a ceramic heat emitter....heat from above still seems to be the first choice....if you are going to set up a warm heated humid box then you can use heat ropes and such to warm the soil in/below the humid hides....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why are you trying to make a 65 degree spot? You are asking about heat, but talking about cold. Can you explain what it is you are after?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm a bit confused too. I looks like a Red Foot in your avatar picture. They need a high humidity and warm. High humidity and cold makes a sick tort. A basking area should be 85 and above, 90-100 is best. It seems that RF don't bask as much as most other species, but it doesn't hurt to offer it, some will bask, some don't.

Teesh

The UV ray bulbs do not always provide heat. If you purchase the Mercury Vapor Bulb it provides heat along with the uv rays. If you offer a separate uv ray bulb that is strictly that...then you will need to add either a regular bulb for heat or a ceramic heat emitter....heat from above still seems to be the first choice....if you are going to set up a warm heated humid box then you can use heat ropes and such to warm the soil in/below the humid hides....
Ok but can you just make your room the temperature of your room and it'll go with the tank? Sorry I'm new...

Teesh

Why are you trying to make a 65 degree spot? You are asking about heat, but talking about cold. Can you explain what it is you are after?
I'm talking about night time. Isn't that it? Um.... It's a hermanntortoise

Teesh

I'm a bit confused too. I looks like a Red Foot in your avatar picture. They need a high humidity and warm. High humidity and cold makes a sick tort. A basking area should be 85 and above, 90-100 is best. It seems that RF don't bask as much as most other species, but it doesn't hurt to offer it, some will bask, some don't.
Wait, it's a heann tortoise but 65 degrees was night time...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are two types of UV bulbs. One type makes heat and one type does not. If you have the heat making type (Mercury Vapor bulb), then you don't need a heat bulb. If you have the non heat making type (a florescent tube), then you do need a basking bulb too.

65 at night is fine for a hermanni. At night when your lights click off, the tortoise enclosure will slowly cool to what ever the room temperature is. You don't have to intentionally make it colder, but if your room gets really cold in winter, you might need to warm it up some.

Does that answer your question(s)?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What part of the world does this tortoise live in now? What are your day temps inside the place where the tortoise lives? What are the night temps inside the place where the tortoise lives?

Teesh

There are two types of UV bulbs. One type makes heat and one type does not. If you have the heat making type (Mercury Vapor bulb), then you don't need a heat bulb. If you have the non heat making type (a florescent tube), then you do need a basking bulb too.

65 at night is fine for a hermanni. At night when your lights click off, the tortoise enclosure will slowly cool to what ever the room temperature is. You don't have to intentionally make it colder, but if your room gets really cold in winter, you might need to warm it up some.

Does that answer your question(s)?
Ok so the one that doesn't make the heat us the UVB the one that produces vitamin D3 , but I got the UVB and the basking bulb ? Is that enough ? Ps my room will be the temperature that the tortoise needs.
And yes it answers a lot thanks!!

Teesh

What part of the world does this tortoise live in now? What are your day temps inside the place where the tortoise lives? What are the night temps inside the place where the tortoise lives?
Well, right now I think it's in the European part of the world, but I'moving to Paris so... Anyway, my room will be the temperature that the tortoise needs it to be!

Teesh

HI!!!! it's me again but I need a lot of help right now!!!
So I figured out that the UVB lamp I purchased online is for aquatic turtles!!!!! Is it the same?? And the basking spot doesn't have the mercury vapor bulb!! I'm very confused!!!! Please help!!! PS I got the :
Exo Terra Sun-Glo Basking Spot Lamp, 75-Watt/120-Volt
And the :
Zoo Med Combo Tropical UVB Lighting Mini
Zoo Med

Thanks for the help!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Teesh:

The temperature of your room is NOT the temperature the tortoise needs in order to live a healthy life. The tortoise needs a light that gives him a spot to warm up under. A cold-blooded tortoise can't make his own heat, so he needs to be able to sit under a light and warm up. The light shines down on a spot that is about 100F degrees...then it fades to about 80F on one end of the habitat and down to room temperature on the other end. So, you see, unless your room is 100F degrees, it isn't the right temperature for your tortoise.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Teesh

Hi Teesh:

The temperature of your room is NOT the temperature the tortoise needs in order to live a healthy life. The tortoise needs a light that gives him a spot to warm up under. A cold-blooded tortoise can't make his own heat, so he needs to be able to sit under a light and warm up. The light shines down on a spot that is about 100F degrees...then it fades to about 80F on one end of the habitat and down to room temperature on the other end. So, you see, unless your room is 100F degrees, it isn't the right temperature for your tortoise.

1028762jld543t69m.gif
So the light you're talking about is the basking bulb!? And ok since it's 100F maybe you're right. But at night I could make my room 65F

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use both kinds of UV lights in different habitats - the Mercury Vapor Bulb and the tube-type fluorescent bulb. In the tort table that has the MVB I use no other heat source, as the MVB provides heat and UVB all in one bulb. At night I turn everything off and the temp of that tort table stays room temperature, which, in my case, is about 68F degrees, sometimes up to 75F depending upon how hot the day was.

In the tort table where I'm using a tube-type fluorescent bulb, I also have a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb to provide heat. In this table I also turn everything off at night.

So, unless you have a very cold house I wouldn't think you need to provide any heat at night, however, if you do feel your room is too cool, you can always get a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). They screw into a regular light fixture, and provide heat without any light.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on the night time temperature. If you are getting a baby tortoise, you need to keep him warm at night - about 75F degrees. But if you're getting a full grown tortoise, you don't need to worry about the night time temperature. Just turn everything off and the tortoise will be ok with whatever temperature your room is at night.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Teesh

HI!!!! it's me again but I need a lot of help right now!!!
So I figured out that the UVB lamp I purchased online is for aquatic turtles!!!!! Is it the same?? And the basking spot doesn't have the mercury vapor bulb!! I'm very confused!!!! Please help!!! PS I got the :
Exo Terra Sun-Glo Basking Spot Lamp, 75-Watt/120-Volt
And the :
Zoo Med Combo Tropical UVB Lighting Mini
Zoo Med

I ordered it on amazon how do I cancel the order? I'm sooo stupid?!!!!!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
You Should be able to log back into amazon and cancel it or call customer service and give them your order number. I'm not sure if that's the bulb you need or not but it sounds like you were looking for on that was both UVB and basking, like the zoomed power sun bulb.