How to keep heat in habitat?

Teesh

You Should be able to log back into amazon and cancel it or call customer service and give them your order number. I'm not sure if that's the bulb you need or not but it sounds like you were looking for on that was both UVB and basking, like the zoomed power sun bulb.
Okay... But It is a fluorescent bulb though...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The link you gave us for the Sunglo bulb is NOT a fluorescent bulb. It is just fine for your tortoise, but it doesn't provide the necessary UVB. However, the Zoo Med Combo Tropical UVB Lighting Mini is not one you should use. That type bulb can harm a tortoise's eyes.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a helpful hint for you...There is no need to start a new thread (especially in the "Introductions" section) every time you have a question about your lights. We will help you, and its easier to know what has already been told to you if you keep it all in one thread.

Teesh

The link you gave us for the Sunglo bulb is NOT a fluorescent bulb. It is just fine for your tortoise, but it doesn't provide the necessary UVB. However, the Zoo Med Combo Tropical UVB Lighting Mini is not one you should use. That type bulb can harm a tortoise's eyes.

Ohh no!!!!! What can it do to its eyes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It causes a painful condition similar to snow blindness.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quit using that light and throw it away.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I want to give you the same advice that Yvonne gave me: Chill . . . calm . . . relax . . . . it will be fine.
You are concerned and this is good. You are feeling anxious, responsible and insecure. It will all work out and he will survive and eventually thrive.
Take some notes and get your equipment as you can - don't break your neck. Everyone is here to help you.
One thing at a time.
Welcome aboard!

Teesh

I want to give you the same advice that Yvonne gave me: Chill . . . calm . . . relax . . . . it will be fine.
You are concerned and this is good. You are feeling anxious, responsible and insecure. It will all work out and he will survive and eventually thrive.
Take some notes and get your equipment as you can - don't break your neck. Everyone is here to help you.
One thing at a time.
Welcome aboard!
Thanks a lot!! But I didn't quite get it yet. When I do, I'll look for another one but how long can it survive with only the supplements and the basking spot??
Thanks a gain

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thanks a lot!! But I didn't quite get it yet. When I do, I'll look for another one but how long can it survive with only the supplements and the basking spot??
Thanks a gain
It will survive, but if it is a bad condition too long it can get sick! Don't worry, you'll be done in 3-4 days max. (That time will probably not harm the tortoise if you are able to finish the enclosure by then) :) I'd recommend you only using supplements 2-3 a week, the rest should be vegetables & grasses (grass should NOT have fertilizers)... Give us daily updates and work hard please :D

Teesh

It will survive, but if it is a bad condition too long it can get sick! Don't worry, you'll be done in 3-4 days max. (That time will probably not harm the tortoise if you are able to finish the enclosure by then) :) I'd recommend you only using supplements 2-3 a week, the rest should be vegetables & grasses (grass should NOT have fertilizers)... Give us daily updates and work hard please :D
Ok sure, I'll give updates in a couple weeks since I don't have em yet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Let me break this down for you bulb by bulb. What you need is heat bulb to produce a basking area, and a UV bulb so that your tortoise can convert vitamin D2 into D3 in its skin. Here are all the different types of bulbs and what they do:
1. Regular incandescent bulbs: They produce light and heat. No UV.
2. Long florescent UV tubes: These produce light and UV, but no heat. There are regular ones and now HO (High Output) ones available.
3. Coil type cfl UV bulbs: These also produce light and UV with no heat, BUT these are the ones that can damage their eyes. I recommend these NOT be used.
4. Mercury vapor bulbs: These produce heat, light AND good UV all in one bulb. This might be the best for your situation. Put one on a timer and you are all done. It will give your tortoise the needed heat, light and UV during the day and then the enclosure will cool at night when the timer kicks the bulb off.

So a combination of number 1 and 2 will work, or simply use number 4. All heat producing bulbs must be of the correct wattage and their fixtures mounted at the correct height for YOUR enclosure, in order to produce the correct temperatures for your species. If you basking area is too hot, raise the fixture and bulb. If its not warm enough, lower it. Likewise florescent tubes must be mounted at the correct height to be effective.

If your tortoise gets regular sunshine in a large outdoor pen, then you do not need indoor UV at all, and you can just use an incandescent bulb for some heat and light when indoors. Sometimes people will also use florescent tubes to add some light to their enclosure, regardless of UV potential.

Teesh

Let me break this down for you bulb by bulb. What you need is heat bulb to produce a basking area, and a UV bulb so that your tortoise can convert vitamin D2 into D3 in its skin. Here are all the different types of bulbs and what they do:
1. Regular incandescent bulbs: They produce light and heat. No UV.
2. Long florescent UV tubes: These produce light and UV, but no heat. There are regular ones and now HO (High Output) ones available.
3. Coil type cfl UV bulbs: These also produce light and UV with no heat, BUT these are the ones that can damage their eyes. I recommend these NOT be used.
4. Mercury vapor bulbs: These produce heat, light AND good UV all in one bulb. This might be the best for your situation. Put one on a timer and you are all done. It will give your tortoise the needed heat, light and UV during the day and then the enclosure will cool at night when the timer kicks the bulb off.

So a combination of number 1 and 2 will work, or simply use number 4. All heat producing bulbs must be of the correct wattage and their fixtures mounted at the correct height for YOUR enclosure, in order to produce the correct temperatures for your species. If you basking area is too hot, raise the fixture and bulb. If its not warm enough, lower it. Likewise florescent tubes must be mounted at the correct height to be effective.

If your tortoise gets regular sunshine in a large outdoor pen, then you do not need indoor UV at all, and you can just use an incandescent bulb for some heat and light when indoors. Sometimes people will also use florescent tubes to add some light to their enclosure, regardless of UV potential.
Ok thanks a lot

Teesh

I am a bit scared, how long can he last without UVB but with the supplements?

-Teesh♡