how to keep my tortoise cage humid?

harrythetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
My Hermann’s is also 1 year old. I had an open table but quickly realized it’s too hard to maintain the humidity. I added a greenhouse. The lights hang from the greenhouse frame.
I like it! Are the frames metal?
Where did you get it, if I may ask?
I have a closed enclosure now but when my tortoise is older this could be something I can build.

Melymann

Michigan
I like it! Are the frames metal?
Where did you get it, if I may ask?
I have a closed enclosure now but when my tortoise is older this could be something I can build.
I ordered it on Amazon. Link below. There are many many sizes. Yes the frame is metal. It’s been awesome.
LYNSLIM Mini Greenhouse, 48" x24x 21.6",PE Cover,Large Zipper Doors,Indoor Outdoor Garden Green House Flowerpot Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YWV6Z1S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

CharlieS2020

Ontario
My Hermann’s is also 1 year old. I had an open table but quickly realized it’s too hard to maintain the humidity. I added a greenhouse. The lights hang from the greenhouse frame.
thanks i will ckeak thosse out.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
I ordered it on Amazon. Link below. There are many many sizes. Yes the frame is metal. It’s been awesome.
LYNSLIM Mini Greenhouse, 48" x24x 21.6",PE Cover,Large Zipper Doors,Indoor Outdoor Garden Green House Flowerpot Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YWV6Z1S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
hi again so i took a look at the link and your photos you posted. and i saw that you had a full open cage, though i have some chiken wire on the top. in your photo for the green house cover i saw they still have holes they look a bit smaller than the chiken wire. do you think i still need this?

Melymann

Michigan
hi again so i took a look at the link and your photos you posted. and i saw that you had a full open cage, though i have some chiken wire on the top. in your photo for the green house cover i saw they still have holes they look a bit smaller than the chiken wire. do you think i still need this?
There are not holes in the greenhouse. It’s a grid pattern instead of clear but it’s still completely intact and enclosed. It does zip shut also.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
There are not holes in the greenhouse. It’s a grid pattern instead of clear but it’s still completely intact and enclosed. It does zip shut also.
oh okay sorry i dident see that from the photo. would you recomend i get it though? if i have some chieken wire on the top. also if there si not enough humitity what will happen?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
oh okay sorry i dident see that from the photo. would you recomend i get it though? if i have some chieken wire on the top. also if there si not enough humitity what will happen?
If humidity is too low, tortoises exhibit pyramided growths. You can get something to drape the chicken wire to make it enclosed.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
what could i cover the chiken wire with?
I was going to suggest aluminum foil but looks like if you do that you wouldn't be able to see inside the enclosure... I think what Melymann had suggested seems to be the best option in your case.
You can search enclosure ideas on this forum and get some other ideas too!

CharlieS2020

Ontario
I was going to suggest aluminum foil but looks like if you do that you wouldn't be able to see inside the enclosure... I think what Melymann had suggested seems to be the best option in your case.
You can search enclosure ideas on this forum and get some other ideas too!
okay thanks. but ive also read some other people have chiken wire on the top and jsut by misting there cage down it stays at the right humitity is this true?

CharlieS2020

Ontario

harrythetortoise

Virginia
okay thanks. but ive also read some other people have chiken wire on the top and jsut by misting there cage down it stays at the right humitity is this true?
It will be very hard to keep the right humidity level that way.

great thanks! and my wood walls arnt that high i think there like 31 centamiters would i jsut put the green hosue cover over top? Than hang the lights inside. becuse right now the lights are on the chiken wire.
Yes, I think that should work. Post some pictures for us when you set it up!