How to keep room warm enough? (Guest room)

Location (City and/or State)
Castle Rock, Colorado
Hello, we recently moved to the coldest town in Colorado! Otis got an enclosure upgrade when we moved and has his own room. However, our house is on propane and it’s very expensive to keep the heat on constantly. He has his heat lamp on during the day but it turns off at night. What can I do to help keep him warm overnight? I am hesitant to use a space heater but I have noticed a decrease in his activity and amount he is eating.
Also- we have a cat who likes to poop in his enclosure ??‍♀️? so I cannot keep the door open.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello, we recently moved to the coldest town in Colorado! Otis got an enclosure upgrade when we moved and has his own room. However, our house is on propane and it’s very expensive to keep the heat on constantly. He has his heat lamp on during the day but it turns off at night. What can I do to help keep him warm overnight? I am hesitant to use a space heater but I have noticed a decrease in his activity and amount he is eating.
Also- we have a cat who likes to poop in his enclosure ??‍♀️? so I cannot keep the door open.
I build wooden hide boxes or use a plastic tote with radiant heat panels mounted on the lid. You can set it up with a thermostat and it'll maintain the temperature inside at what you set it. IMG_20210906_133027116.jpgIMG_20211016_183523468.jpgIMG_20211016_183443827.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oil filled radiator space heater is safe. Most shuts off if tipped over. I heat my tortoise shed with one on a plug in thermostat.
Otherwise make him an enclosure within the room.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Im moving into my first home in 2 weeks, and my two tortoises will have their own rooms as well. With much bigger enclosures. :) 4 x8 made out of plywood. Super excited.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
How much does the heat panels cost? Can that cause a fire?
They cost anywhere from $70-110 depending on the wattage you get. They don't hot enough to cause a fire I don't think. You can put your hand on it a few seconds and it won't burn you.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm not handy enough to make a night box or anything like Toddrick, so my leopard has an insulated dog kennel with a Reptile Radiator (like a flat che), run through a thermostat to keep him warm. I added some extra insulation (like foil coated bubble wrap) on the inside walls and roof.
Because of the sloping roof I put some brackets on the front and back wall of the kennel and have an extendable oven shelf fitted across them for the radiator to rest on - It's not in contact with anything but the metal shelf. You could add a hinged door/ramp, but I just drape a heavy towel over the door at night
Lola loves it and it's cut down my bills.

PA250005.JPG
The room has a CH radiator in it and of course his basking and uvb lamps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How cold does the room get over night?