how to keep the heat in an aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruiser12

5 Year Member
I was wondering how i can keep the heat in an aquarium. the reason im concerned about this is because i've read you want to keep the temperature at 80-100 F at the warm/basking end and 75-85 at the cool end. I've actually stole my leopard gecko's light to try to raise the temp! In the day i have an average of about 80-85 F and at night about 75 F. just wondering if thats a good temp thanks!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Refresh my mind, what kind of tortoise?

Also what types of lights are you using? A CHE or undertank heater? What size tank and do you have a lid on it or is it open topped?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
What tyoe of lighting and uvb are you using? What size is the tank, is there a lid? What are your day/ night heat sources? Do you know your basking temp, ambient temp, cool temp? Details.

cruiser12

5 Year Member
its a 75 gallon i think, and there is a screen lid. im currently using a 100 watt black night heat bulb(just picked that up today), a regular 50 watt heat bulb, and a 12 watt uva/uvb light. the basking temp at the moment is about 85 F and the cool end is around 82 F.

oh and also there is no heat pad at the bottom.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
You want to have a higher temperature, around 90-95

Basking* you will probably want to get a reflective basking spot light

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I keep my Cherry Heads at 80 - 85 throughout the vivarium. I have (in the 195 gal tank) two holes, one on each side of the tank with 100 wt. heat emitters on each side. The holes are in a screen on top of the tank. In the middle is a long tube UVB 5.0 light. The CHE's stay on 24/7. The rest of the screen is covered with clear wrapping tape to hold in the heat and humidity. Just what works for me.

cruiser12

5 Year Member
woah, 195 gallon tank!!! thanks for the info. ill try the masking tape to see if that works out. thanks!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Convert to a closed chamber...i.e. Build a solid lid for your tank! Drill holes just large enough for the cords of your bulbs/heaters to fit through! There is enough air exchange when you feed, water, clean...that you don't have to worry about stale air or anything like that!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
DeanS said:
Convert to a closed chamber...i.e. Build a solid lid for your tank! Drill holes just large enough for the cords of your bulbs/heaters to fit through! There is enough air exchange when you feed, water, clean...that you don't have to worry about stale air or anything like that!

I think this Summer when the torts are outside, I'll ask my son to do something like that for me. Terry K. showed me some pictures like that only for a tub like enclosure

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
DeanS said:

I have a 150 gallon tank with a plexi glass closed lid like you are describing and I run a 150 watt Power Sun during the day and a 150 Che at night . Tank is always warm cool end 80 degrees warm side 90s with basking temp higher.Humidity is always 80 or higher. I simply water the plants once a week. I don't need a fogger.

Status
Not open for further replies.