How to keep your Sulcata off the food!

Ezarate

Location (City and/or State)
Grand junction
Tortellini is driving us insane. He wastes so much food. I put the food on a tray for him but he purposely crawls onto it covered in coco fiber and drags the food everywhere. Then he won't eat it because it's covered in coco fiber.

We were thinking of covering less than half of his container with a soft substrate Matt and the other half with coconut fiber.

How do you guys deal with this

On a side note, everytime he's hungry he will bang his shell against the glass or run up to me when I walk by. We're upgrading his 21"x21" custom tank with a very large 4'x2' Christmas tree container. It's going to have crazy upgrades including an automatic humidifier adjuster.

Attachments

• 20181211_160130.jpg
    20181211_160130.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20181211-184033_Wish.jpg
    Screenshot_20181211-184033_Wish.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get rid of the coco fiber and use fine grade orchid bark. Then use a terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate as a food dish. I've started hundreds of sulcata babies this way and no problems.

4x2 is too small for your tortoise. That size is okay to start a baby, but yours has gained some size. And Christmas tree tubs aren't good anyway because the top is open. You also shouldn't need a humidifier if the enclosure is set up correctly. Get a large closed chamber. It will make your life so much easier, and your tortoises life so much better. Like these: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-stack-of-animal-plastics-closed-chambers.165626/

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
My husband told me Daisy took a giant dump in her terra-cotta food dish. We soak her everyday and she usually does her business then or in the water dish. She is eating so much now, she was probably too full to walk 5 steps to the water dish to take a poop ... FYI .. dry tortoise poop on a terra-cotta saucer STICKS ... hubby had to scrub it off [emoji23]. Happy I was at work [emoji847]