How to know if tortoise is stunted?

LispGrim

Location (City and/or State)
Makati, Philippines
Hi, I've had a sulcata for almost a full year, and they've definitely grown! (no pictures since it's late, 2 AM over here.) But I've noticed that they don't have the white ring around the carapace scutes anymore. I'm very sorry if this doesn't deserve it's own thread, but should I be concerned?

I've also noticed from quick Google searches and browsing through these forums, and I've not found much about signs on if a tortoise has been stunted!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Not having the white Rings doesn’t mean your tortoise isn’t Growing. There’s a theory that the ones raised dry or a little close to that get it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I've had a sulcata for almost a full year, and they've definitely grown! (no pictures since it's late, 2 AM over here.) But I've noticed that they don't have the white ring around the carapace scutes anymore. I'm very sorry if this doesn't deserve it's own thread, but should I be concerned?

I've also noticed from quick Google searches and browsing through these forums, and I've not found much about signs on if a tortoise has been stunted!
The white ring thing doesn't apply to all tortoises all the time. Young sulcatas don't usually show this. What is their weight in grams?

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts

Like tom said, could we have the tortoises weight in grams? I have a kitchen scale that I use to weigh my redfoot tortoise weekly. It is important to see small growth each week, my tortoise gains about 5-7 grams per week. And a picture when you get a chance will be great.

LispGrim

Makati, Philippines
The white ring thing doesn't apply to all tortoises all the time. Young sulcatas don't usually show this. What is their weight in grams?

I was able to weigh them out! They're around 245 g. Here's a photo I took yesterday.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 4.07.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 4.07.17 PM.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was able to weigh them out! They're around 245 g. Here's a photo I took yesterday.
That is on the small side for 12 months old, but I wouldn't call it stinted. Start housing and caring for them the right way and they should grow just fine. Like this:

LispGrim

Makati, Philippines
That is on the small side for 12 months old, but I wouldn't call it stinted. Start housing and caring for them the right way and they should grow just fine. Like this:
i see, thank you!

LispGrim

Makati, Philippines

just for fun (and if the original wasn’t good reference), here’s some more photos.

Attachments

• 28CC8A25-AC6A-402A-838F-46313261FA0E.jpeg
    28CC8A25-AC6A-402A-838F-46313261FA0E.jpeg
    995.8 KB · Views: 6
  • EDF46C06-182F-4555-9904-958573A2FE68.jpeg
    EDF46C06-182F-4555-9904-958573A2FE68.jpeg
    780 KB · Views: 6