How to make an outdoor enclosures roof?

Oscar_Smith

I've been looking into making an outdoor enclosure for my Russian tortoises. I've planned out that I would use cinderblock, but I don't know how I would make a roof/ceiling. I don't want any big birds or other predators to attack my tortoises.:tort:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you in the U.S? Hardware stores sell an assortment of corrugated steel panels and fencing, metal mesh, etc. Chances are that if you visit one of the really big stores you'll see something that will fit the bill and probably for something completely unrelated. Stay away from glass or plexiglass because they can sometimes intensify the heat of the sun. I'm in Florida. No attacks from predators. A big piece of netting material set up on posts a few feet above the enclosure is what I'd use if I worried about birds.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Framed chicken wire works well, if properly secured. It lets sunlight thru, but keep critters out.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Chicken wire is not very strong, so I only recommend it's use where your pretty sure you don't really need protection. I myself do have it on a few enclosures for their upper walls. I like my enclosures so I can walk in them, just much easier for me to work in them and I can grow more things. I have used the PCV plastic tubing like is used for plumbing for top and wall frames, then used plastic ties to attach the chicken wire. This was once more in a setting where I don't worry abut predators. A frame of wood and then stapling the wire on works well too (even the smaller mesh wires). The bird netting works well, too.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, chicken wire won;t hold against raccoons or possums :( I don't have a lid, because I take my Russian in at night, but stronger fencing like, bunny fencing could work better.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are used hardware cloth below and above my enclosure. It might be a little bit of overkill but I have raccoons and possums around here.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The hardwire cloth does work well. Several different widths and grid sizes are available. I would use 1/2" grid or larger to prevent blocking the UV rays.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
1/2" hardware mesh is about the best. You can attach it to a frame with screws and large washers (to overlap the wire).

As far as making a frame with cinderblock, you can pound 2x2" stakes around the perimeter, say, every 4 feet.
Then lay a frame of 2x4" or 2x6"s flat on the top of the cinderblock and screw through the 2x2"s into the 2x4/2x6".
This is your base for the lid(s).
You can then use 2x2"s or 2x4"s to create the lid (in more than one section if your enclosure is large), hinge them onto your base frame.

Then attach mesh!