How to move a 150 pound male sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
As I was working with all the tortoises yesterday a huge thunderstorm came through north texas. Well I was in one of the tort buildings when My big male popsdecided he was going to walk around in the storm and mosey on graze in the field adjacent to his pen. So the only way I could get him back was the wagon.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
He looks like you could put a harness on him and have him pull you, and the wagon, Around the yard.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I dont doubt he could pull me. hes super strong. He did seem to like it a little bit, and then got tired of bulging out the sides and wanted out. Ha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine are half that size. I still use a wheel barrow or my pick up truck to move them from one end of the five acres to the other. Or, if I just wait long enough, they will come back to where I need them on their own.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I can usually guide them but once they get fixed on their ADD like grass eating syndrom its kinda hard. He saw some evergreens across the way and made a B-line. Wagon bailed me out this time. When I let the female graze the pasture she will follow me back. Same with the leopards the males are just stubborn. "Ohh whats that im going for it". lol they crack me up.

bfmorris

5 Year Member
My opinion is, it's summer time and it is raining. No big deal leave him be.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh I do, its just I left the gate open to the oustide world so he made his way to the outer non-fenced portion of the tortoise coral. Dont want him to end up in somebody elses care. Or worse yet, being in the middle of nowhere some hillbilly shooting him. He did love the rain as much as i did.

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
I like the cart. I have basically the same thing to move mine between the indoor and outdoor enclosure. At 200lbs it's tough to lift him up high, so I have a shopping cart with the basket cut off. I put him on the bottom.

image-2755935126.png

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
yep ounce they get gargantuan its hard picking them up even with 2 people they dont like it and squirm and they can pinch the crap out of you if you get you hand in between the carapace and strong elephant like legs. Ive been there so its cart time when they need moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.