How to preserve eggs before incubator arrival?

Pawciorc

Location (City and/or State)
Malta
Hi,
My 3 years old female Greek started digging a nest. I did not expect it at all and I do not have an incubator yet. Please advise how to keep the eggs (if she really lays them) before the incubator arrives.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hi,
My 3 years old female Greek started digging a nest. I did not expect it at all and I do not have an incubator yet. Please advise how to keep the eggs (if she really lays them) before the incubator arrives.
I would suggest that you leave them in the nest then until your incubator arrives. But I am also new to eggs. So hopefully one of the experts will answer soon.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hi,
These are the people I know who have experience with eggs and would be able to give you better advice. @YvonneG, @Tom, @kingsley, @Sterant

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Hi - if you don't have an incubator yet, I would put the eggs in a plastic container (like a tupperware bowl with a lid) with dry vermiculite. Cover the eggs about 50% with the vermiculite, put the top on, and leave them at around 65 degrees F. They should be fine like that for a couple weeks. Then when you get your incubator, you can set that up however you like, and transfer them into that once it stabilizes.

I don't work with greeks, so others on the forum can give you actual incubation methods if you need help there.

Cale

Gulf Coast FL
and today she laid 7 beautiful small eggs, so excited :D Incubator on the way.

Very cool, congrats!
Do you have a feed store or farm supply store nearby? I have 3 within 15 mins of my house that sell “Little Giant” incubators that have done great for me.

Pawciorc

Malta
Update
Eggs were not fertile, after 4 months in incubator some of them cracked and smelled realy bad, others didnt develop anything inside. I decided to dispose the eggs 2 days ago.
Yesterday when i went to feed torts i found an egg. Twice as big as the first ones. I found two more. Unfortunatelly one was heavily damaged.
So now i have two promissing eggs in the incubator. Fingers crossed :D