How to prevent red foot tortoises from pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
If your Redfoot is pyramiding, it is likely due to lack of humidity, however this isn't the only factor. Redfoots need high humidity throughout their life, 80%+. What are your humidity levels?

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Colony Texas!
theelectraco said:
If your Redfoot is pyramiding, it is likely due to lack of humidity, however this isn't the only factor. Redfoots need high humidity throughout their life, 80%+. What are your humidity levels?

Oh no man, i wad just curious because i am getting a pair. I just want to provide a great home for the little guys. Sorry for the confusion.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give them high humidity and a good diet and good hydration and you should be good to go:D

porter

10 Year Member!
I've gave my reds a pretty humid life and it's worked so far (8 years) I spray mine twice a day with Luke warm water, key is to keep the humidity up without the substrate being soaked, I do this by have 12 inches of top soil with a top later of cypress mulch. Here's a pic of one of mine ImageUploadedByTortForum1370203480.872145.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
porter said:
I've gave my reds a pretty humid life and it's worked so far (8 years) I spray mine twice a day with Luke warm water, key is to keep the humidity up without the substrate being soaked, I do this by have 12 inches of top soil with a top later of cypress mulch. Here's a pic of one of mine

Dawh precious!
Well how about i just cover the enclosure With sphagnum moss? Would that be fine? Or should i add something extra?
I planned on running a pvc pipe through the wood into the closed chamber and let it mist down the plants and walls. And i can spray my little reds until they are dripping wet. Great tortoise man!

porter

10 Year Member!
Sphagnum moss is good but I mix it in with the top soil, thing is with moss it can hold moister well but it can also dry out pretty quick on its own, well that's what I've found. You can spray the little guys soaking, again I do this. I'd recommend plants in the enclosure if you can, the torts will get dirty in the soil but they'll love it. Here's a picture of my set up, before I added the cypress mulch.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370206031.604818.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370206061.427208.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
porter said:
Sphagnum moss is good but I mix it in with the top soil, thing is with moss it can hold moister well but it can also dry out pretty quick on its own, well that's what I've found. You can spray the little guys soaking, again I do this. I'd recommend plants in the enclosure if you can, the torts will get dirty in the soil but they'll love it. Here's a picture of my set up, before I added the cypress mulch.

Thats nice! Well I should mix sphagnum moss with some top soil? Or bottom layer and top layer with top soil? Or opposite?

porter

10 Year Member!
I'd mix it in, you could put a set amount on the surface for a hide, something for them to snuggle in. I mainly use it in one area of the enclosure, it helps to loosen the soil for my laying female. But the others like to dig in it as well.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
Status
Not open for further replies.