How To Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies discussion thread

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Cowboy_Ken said:
I'd never part with my broad leaf plantain!!!

Careful, might make wifey jealous.

Tom,
Do you mince the spring mix, or do you let them munch on it "outta da box" style?

Also, I have a boat load of Timothy hay (half a bale of horsey stuff)... I'm going to scoop up the powdery business on the bottom of the bin it's in and use that as my own personal OXBOW SALAD STYLE. That stuff taint cheap, and add shipping??? Ouch!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't chop anything except the fresh grass for babies. They eat all their leaves, pads and other stuff whole. The long grass blades can cause "issues" on the other end, so I chop it up super fine with scissors and mix it all in with other stuff. You should be seeing a bit of that for a while in your soaking water. :D

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Tom said:
I don't chop anything except the fresh grass for babies. They eat all their leaves, pads and other stuff whole. The long grass blades can cause "issues" on the other end, so I chop it up super fine with scissors and mix it all in with other stuff. You should be seeing a bit of that for a while in your soaking water. :D

Yah, I did. Thanks for the "souvenir". [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

griefold

5 Year Member
I do the same with the bermuda grass and fescue that grows in my yard. I was afraid I was doing it wrong and that he was not eating like a Sulcata should. I feel better reading that.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Well, yesterday on my way to work I bought a box of organic spring mix, sadly, do to emergency with hospital OWNER'S dog, I wasn't able to get home until 8pm. Babies were in their hid, so I left one single arugula leaf.
Gone this morning!!

Thank you, Tom, for producing well adjusted babies. I have a house full of picky or special needs rescues, so it's refreshing to have a break. LOL

PRECISELY why I prefer my own, home bred basenjis so rescues or other breeders Basenjis. I put my puppies thru a lot from day one...they get handled a lot, I play loud music, I bang pots over their heads, I haul them to work and grocery store parking lots...my basenjis are bomb proof, and I always have a waiting list. So Tom, I truly appreciate your work.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Can you use more than one CHE running through one habistat thermostat? (Meaning can I plug an extension into the thermostat?)

Suppose it depends on watts/volts? Just wondering if anyone has ever done it?

Cheers

J

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know that brand, but my thermostats are rated to 1000 watts and have three outlets.

Sulcata Safe Plants

I was wondering what types of cactus and succulents can I place in my Sulcata's enclosure? Any other types of plants you would suggest?

I have gotten everything right in my enclosure thanks to every one's input and my sulcata is thriving in his new enclosure. He loves every part of it.
I am just trying to make it more pleasing to the eye and his palate.

Thanks for Any Input

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Sulcata Safe Plants

AfricanSpurredsWords said:
I was wondering what types of cactus and succulents can I place in my Sulcata's enclosure? Any other types of plants you would suggest?

I have gotten everything right in my enclosure thanks to every one's input and my sulcata is thriving in his new enclosure. He loves every part of it.
I am just trying to make it more pleasing to the eye and his palate.

Thanks for Any Input

In my experience, any plant a sulcata has access to will be eaten or trampled in an indoor enclosure. Outside, if the plant is out of reach or something with a stout trunk, it may live a while...

Indoors I would use pots to keep the plants safe from them. I have personal experience with ice plant, jade plant, red apple (the ground cover succulent), and all sorts of opuntia varieties. I've also fed them organ pipe cactus, but its pretty time consuming to cut the spines all off. I've never grown any of these indoors.

Can I put two hatchling sulcatas of the same sex together thier entire lives
unless something would arise which they would need to be separated? I mean from closed chamber all the way through outdoor enclosure.

I recently started building my closed chamber and hope it will be finished by next weekend. The dimensions are 2 ft High x 8 ft Long x 2 1/2 ft Wide.

Can it be a leopard tortoise?

Thanks for All The Help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see a couple or three different questions...

You can keep two sulcata hatchlings in the same habitat for a while, but eventually, and no one can predict when, one of them is going to try to chase the other out of the territory. So, no, you probably won't be able to keep them together for their whole lives.

It might be ok to put a sulcata hatchling with a leopard hatchling, but would I do it? No. I don't mix species period...at all.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
No mixing species, but I don't see a problem with two FEMALE sulcatas together. As long as no males are involved, you should be fine.

izzie

please tell me why you are against pellets. I use that... I tried using cypress mulch but he just was biting his front leg and he tried to eat the mulch. is that normal?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The pellets dont hold humidity well . Coco choir is the way to go . Holds humidity packs down good . They can dig down in it . I would not keep two sulcatas together after a month old . They will start pushing for food, hides and water holes . One of the tortoises will always suffer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
please tell me why you are against pellets. I use that... I tried using cypress mulch but he just was biting his front leg and he tried to eat the mulch. is that normal?

No its not normal for them to eat their substrate? Are you using a colored bulb? Do you feed mostly grocery store foods? Use any vitamin or mineral supplements?

Pellets are far too dry and desiccating. Your tortoise is not a desert species, despite what you may have read or been told in the past, and they benefit from some moisture, humidity and hydration. Here is a thread explaining it more:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Then try these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/#post-135226

izzie

hey sorry for bothering you. but at night I have a heat lamp and its red, and during the day there is no color lamp just a regular UVB light. I have fresh water out 24/7 and soak him twice a week or sometimes every other day.