How To Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies discussion thread

y4433264336

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
RE: How To Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies.

Tom said:
y4433264336 said:
Tom said:
A UVA lamp by itself really does nothing for them. I recommend mercury vapor bulbs. If you need indoor UV, they are by far the best way to go that I know of. If your tortoise gets lots of natural sun year round, then you really don't need indoor UV and a regular incandescent bulb will work to just give them some light and heat for the indoor times.

okay,, how long do i need to turn it on ? also i give baby sulcata repcal calcium with D3 twice a week and Cuttlebone powder once a week. is that okay?? do i need to buy vitamin stuff??

I like to leave my bulbs on a timer for 12-14 hours. I think your calcium routine sounds fine. Vitamins are debatable. I don't think your tortoise will keel over dead if you don't regularly use reptile vitamins. On the other hand, they might be of some benefit too. I use a reptile vitamin once a week or so just in case.

what brand of vitamin should i buy?? show me a website.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida

Quick question....can you use potting soil instead of top soil? At the store now.....

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx

i think as long as it doesnt have the little white thingies inside it should be ok...the reason being if they decided to eat the white stuff it may cause digestive problems... so if its all dirt your ok :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Potting soil often has fertilizer in it as well, so you would have to be cautious about that in addition to the white stuff. What is it you don't like about topsoil?

M

Maggie Cummings

TACOSSS???

I had a small Sulcata who was blinded by a coil bulb. It was awful and the pain it caused him was horrible. I will never forget that. The pain it caused hurt him so much it was visible. He foamed and drooled and his eyes were vivid red and just thinking about it now hurts me too. Just please everyone believe that coil bulbs cause blindness and it is a painful route they go...Awful.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

What the hell does TACOSSS mean?

y4433264336

5 Year Member
Maryland

hi Tom. can i just leave a Cuttlebone in my baby sulcata's enclosure?? is that enough calcium? or do i need to give him powder as well??

Spider Woman

5 Year Member

y4433264336 said:
hi Tom. can i just leave a Cuttlebone in my baby sulcata's enclosure?? is that enough calcium? or do i need to give him powder as well??

I know I'm not Tom and I am fairly new to the sulcata scene but my babies have never even touched their cuttlebone so I have to do the powder.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

y4433264336 said:

My experience is the same as that of Spider Woman. I leave cuttle bone in their enclosure, but they almost never touch it. I sprinkle a little Repcal on their food twice a week. This system has worked for me for many years and many tortoises.

Spider Woman

5 Year Member

I have heard that ReptiSun was the best for the UVB output. It's not the coil ones but is the tube like flouresent light. What is your opinion on that one? We were talking about it at a herp show today.

Robin

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member

Hey, Tom.. Great post! Very helpful... Although.. I have questions.. :)

Being a Sulcata owner for a full four hours.. The babies are actually sleeping, which makes me feel like I've not screwed up everything yet. I'm a desert dweller, in Mesa AZ. It's obviously dry in the desert. My ultimate plan for the 'kids' is for them to have an outdoor enclosure, complete with temp controlled heat lamp, raised off the ground with a ramp and patient training at sunset to get them in there at night. However, they are too little for this. SO.. At what time/age/size is it appropriate to move them outdoors? There are vultures and other undesirable flying creature roaming around my neck of the woods (good to live in a brand new sub-division), So.. as little torts, I would like to be outside with them as often as possible since I have a 3 foot tall, standing mammal that also enjoys the outdoors, What things should I be aware of while they (the torts) are roaming around? The concrete block wall will keep them contained in my 3/4 of an acre, but are there bugs that will get them? Other predators outside of the flying kind that I should be aware of? And, while everyone else in North America is enjoying cool Fall temps, it's *still* hovering around 100 here, and for the rest of the week, is there a limit to their exposure at this age??

And.. How OFTEN should they be fed? I've been told twice a day, once every other day, and other conflicting non-nonsensical information. I was told to buy them a tort food mix, which I did, it looks like fruity pebbles and was also told to soak it in water before feeding it to them. *shrug* What does your 20 years of experience say about this? I did evaluate the fresh produce today, but got confused on what not to get versus what to get and what to get only when (fill in the blank).. So I got nothing.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated, as you've presented yourself as someone who is very knowledgeable on this subject matter.

I've got more questions, but am so exhausted, it's time for me to retire. Thank you in advance for your response.

Jacki :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I have found the coil bulbs to be dangerous and the tube bulbs to be ineffective. Mercury Vapor Bulbs are the best options for simulating real sunshine in my experience.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

JLSchmittou said:
Hey, Tom.. Great post! Very helpful... Although.. I have questions.. :)

Being a Sulcata owner for a full four hours.. The babies are actually sleeping, which makes me feel like I've not screwed up everything yet. I'm a desert dweller, in Mesa AZ. It's obviously dry in the desert. My ultimate plan for the 'kids' is for them to have an outdoor enclosure, complete with temp controlled heat lamp, raised off the ground with a ramp and patient training at sunset to get them in there at night. However, they are too little for this. SO.. At what time/age/size is it appropriate to move them outdoors? There are vultures and other undesirable flying creature roaming around my neck of the woods (good to live in a brand new sub-division), So.. as little torts, I would like to be outside with them as often as possible since I have a 3 foot tall, standing mammal that also enjoys the outdoors, What things should I be aware of while they (the torts) are roaming around? The concrete block wall will keep them contained in my 3/4 of an acre, but are there bugs that will get them? Other predators outside of the flying kind that I should be aware of? And, while everyone else in North America is enjoying cool Fall temps, it's *still* hovering around 100 here, and for the rest of the week, is there a limit to their exposure at this age??

And.. How OFTEN should they be fed? I've been told twice a day, once every other day, and other conflicting non-nonsensical information. I was told to buy them a tort food mix, which I did, it looks like fruity pebbles and was also told to soak it in water before feeding it to them. *shrug* What does your 20 years of experience say about this? I did evaluate the fresh produce today, but got confused on what not to get versus what to get and what to get only when (fill in the blank).. So I got nothing.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated, as you've presented yourself as someone who is very knowledgeable on this subject matter.

I've got more questions, but am so exhausted, it's time for me to retire. Thank you in advance for your response.

Jacki :)

Okay. I'll take them one at time:
1. Your long term plan sounds perfect! Once they are around 6-8" the pattern for shell growth is pretty well set and they can go outside permanently. BTW, if no one told you, you live in one of the best places on earth for sulcatas. In the mean time, yes you do have to worry about lots of predators. I like to put hatchlings out for an hour or two a day, but some people go all day and still show good results. Hydration (soaks), and sleeping in a warm humid hide, seem to be critical. You've seen my care sheet, but here's another good one. It was written for leopards, but its good info for sulcatas too.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leopard-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz1axq7PA00

Here are a couple of threads for sunning babies:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ut-Safe-Outdoor-Baby-Enclosures#axzz1axq7PA00

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Cheap-Easy-Simple-Sunning-Enclosure#axzz1axq7PA00

2. I feed mine in the morning. If they eat it all up right away, then I'll give them a little more in the afternoon. There is a paragraph in the care sheet about what I like to feed. Safe weeds and grass are best, but a variety of leafy greens from the store is okay too. I give calcium twice a week and vitamins once a week sprinkled on the food. I also like to give them some Mazuri tortoise chow a couple of times a week, but I don't know anyone who recommends the "fruity pebbles".

3. One subject you didn't ask about: I don't know why it is, but lots of people who are new to tortoises like to buy a pair. This is worse case scenario. Pairs are often problematic. Tortoise don't need any companionship, but if you desire to have more than one, I recommend at least a trio. With a pair, one will always be the meeker of the two and will suffer for it, even if everything "seems" okay. It is just one of the laws of nature.

Please keep asking those question after you get some rest... We are all happy to help here.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.

Well those "fruity pebble" things are kinda like Mazuri but colored and smaller pieces. You still soak them and they get soft and everything like Mazuri.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member

020.JPG
Tom said:
Okay. I'll take them one at time:
1. Your long term plan sounds perfect! Once they are around 6-8" the pattern for shell growth is pretty well set and they can go outside permanently. BTW, if no one told you, you live in one of the best places on earth for sulcatas. In the mean time, yes you do have to worry about lots of predators. I like to put hatchlings out for an hour or two a day, but some people go all day and still show good results. Hydration (soaks), and sleeping in a warm humid hide, seem to be critical. You've seen my care sheet, but here's another good one. It was written for leopards, but its good info for sulcatas too.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leopard-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz1axq7PA00

Here are a couple of threads for sunning babies:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ut-Safe-Outdoor-Baby-Enclosures#axzz1axq7PA00

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Cheap-Easy-Simple-Sunning-Enclosure#axzz1axq7PA00

2. I feed mine in the morning. If they eat it all up right away, then I'll give them a little more in the afternoon. There is a paragraph in the care sheet about what I like to feed. Safe weeds and grass are best, but a variety of leafy greens from the store is okay too. I give calcium twice a week and vitamins once a week sprinkled on the food. I also like to give them some Mazuri tortoise chow a couple of times a week, but I don't know anyone who recommends the "fruity pebbles".

3. One subject you didn't ask about: I don't know why it is, but lots of people who are new to tortoises like to buy a pair. This is worse case scenario. Pairs are often problematic. Tortoise don't need any companionship, but if you desire to have more than one, I recommend at least a trio. With a pair, one will always be the meeker of the two and will suffer for it, even if everything "seems" okay. It is just one of the laws of nature.

Please keep asking those question after you get some rest... We are all happy to help here.

Well, I got the pair because they are female (according to the man who bred them- he said he controlled the incubation temp - so I know automatically that it's still a crapshoot on their sex) but, ultimately in the next few weeks, we'd like to purchase one more, preferably a male. These little ones are funny, and they either have very distinctive personalities or one is sick. Because one (they are still nameless because my husband an I take forever to agree on names) is quite active - ok, she's very active, while the other one (today anyway) is content lazing around. The latter also sleeps above the heating pad, while the active one burrows underneath.... Should I put lazy under the pad? Will she sleep better? I have yet to see them get excited about food. Although, looking at their beaks, I can see food remnants...? Will be getting some leafy greens today after spawn gets up from his nap.

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 131
Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

They all have different personalities and activity levels. You'll have to be the judge of whether or not the one is TOO lethargic. Its also possible that the hider/sleeper is intimidated by the other. The active one doesn't necessarily have to DO anything. Sometimes just being within the sight of the other one is enough to intimidate.

Chameleon keepers understand this all so well, but I always have trouble explaining it to tortoise people.

Either way, they will both settle in in the next few days. Just soak them everyday and make sure they stay warm (80ish) all night too.

Void1878

5 Year Member

I have loved turtles and tortoises especially, my whole life and have recently gotten my first tort. He is a six month old Sulcata named Pax. I want to take as best care of him as possible and hope that this forum will help me do so. Some of my initial questions are:
How often should he eat?
How often should I dust his food with calcium and vitamin D3?
How often should I soak him and for how long?
How often and for how long should his UVA/UVB/heat/light bulb be on?
How often should he be in an outside habitat and for how long?

These are my biggest questions right now and I really hope someone can help me with them so I can give Pax everything he needs.

-Void1878

Also, is there a problem to having half sand substrate half alfalfa pellets? His water bowl is in there and sometimes he gets wet then gets in the sand and tracks clumps of sand everywhere, including back into the water bowl. Is this a problem?