How to responsibly buy an RT

hannygee

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville KY
I contacted an online company, Underground Reptiles and they were out of stock as they put it. When I was contacted by them to say they had new stock I asked , if this one price was for hatching, yearling? they replied field collected, i think they said eastern europe when i probed. THAT can't be how RT's are making their ways into the homes of loving families, right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First do not buy from them. They are dont have a good reputation
Second, yes a lot of RT are wild caught sadely. I thought it was made illegal to take them from the wild a year or 2 ago but I guess not.
There are too many breeders to buy them from that not only should you buy from a breeder but they should not be allowed to be taken from the wild any more.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Who are some reputable RT breeders?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I know @ZEROPILOT usually recommends Southern Reptiles (for redfoots).
I know @Toddrickfl1 usually recommends Tort Stork.
Other members will probably have additional suggestions.

Edited: Sorry, I'm thinking redfoots, not Russians... Getting my acronyms and abbreviations crossed this week!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think Tortstork has some baby Russians hatching right now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've personally bought from both @CarolS and @kanalomele and highly recommend both of them. I've heard nothing but good about tort stork, but I have no personal experience with him or his animals.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
....Also search your local Craigslist.
Russians are a common pet shop bought tortoise and often bought on a whim by people who soon find out that they can NOT properly care for it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I contacted an online company, Underground Reptiles and they were out of stock as they put it. When I was contacted by them to say they had new stock I asked , if this one price was for hatching, yearling? they replied field collected, i think they said eastern europe when i probed. THAT can't be how RT's are making their ways into the homes of loving families, right?
DO NOT BUY AN ANIMAL FROM UNDERGROUND REPTILES.
I don't want to get into all of the WHYs. But they are numerous.
And yes. The vast majority of pet shops selling Russian tortoises are selling wild collected animals.
Some are very old and most of them have health issues.
(Not just at Underground)

Cozmo88

Rhode Island
I bought mine from a reptile pet store and they say he was wild caught, estimated to be 5 years old. After doing all of this research I feel so bad but I promised him I’ll try to give him the best home possible. I’m still working on his outdoor enclosure so he can spend a few hours a day in it. Luckily, I think he’s very healthy :)

VegasJeff

Las Vegas, NV
DO NOT BUY AN ANIMAL FROM UNDERGROUND REPTILES.
I don't want to get into all of the WHYs. But they are numerous.
And yes. The vast majority of pet shops selling Russian tortoises are selling wild collected animals.
Some are very old and most of them have health issues.
(Not just at Underground)

How are they getting wild caught russian torts into the country? Is it legal to import them or is it illegal similar to the illegal smuggling of parrots?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
How are they getting wild caught russian torts into the country? Is it legal to import them or is it illegal similar to the illegal smuggling of parrots?
I can't answer that without just guessing. But my guess is that they are not thought of as rare or endangered in their native lands.
Russians stay small.
Some of those tortoises that newbie owners are buying are actually REALLY OLD animals.
Almost no pet shop worker can vouch for the age or health history of them, and I just dislike the thought of taking them away from nature.
Most species are now sold as captive raised.
Captive born, healthy Russian tortoises are out there.
They are also inexpensive.
Starting out with a healthy, captive and "sorted out" baby will set you up for success.
If you spend a few bucks more, you'll also save some in vet visits and have a tortoise that's going to be MUCH more comfortable being your pet and being captive

Last edited:

VJRDuran

Brooklyn Park
I have no experience myself, but I have seen people recommend @Carol S and Tort Stork for captive bred Russians on the forum.
We bought from @Carol S and have been very happy. She is a wonderful breeder and cares deeply for her Russians. We got Scooter from her the beginning of April and have kept her up to date with his settling in, asked her questions, and generally kept her in the loop of Scooter's life with us. She has always been gracious, helpful, and has enjoyed the pictures we send her of Scooter. I would highly recommend her.

jholmes26

KENNER
Im new to this and just joined today. I've been researching tortoise and actually wanted a smaller tortoise, but my wife surprised me with a tortoise from a well-known pet supply store that labeled it only as a Testudo and listed two different species,luckily I knew it as a Russian.

I believe it to be a male but not sure of the age.

I am curious how can make it as comfortable as possible until I get home tonight, Since it's with me at work currently, I'm a law enforcement state park Ranger.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20200720_105724238~2.jpg
    IMG_20200720_105724238~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200720_112542016.jpg
    IMG_20200720_112542016.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19

wanderlust

Northern Utah
Im new to this and just joined today. I've been researching tortoise and actually wanted a smaller tortoise, but my wife surprised me with a tortoise from a well-known pet supply store that labeled it only as a Testudo and listed two different species,luckily I knew it as a Russian.

I am curious how can make it as comfortable as possible until I get home tonight, Since it's with me at work currently, I'm a law enforcement state park Ranger.

PetSmart here in Utah is just selling them as Testudos. I was surprised to learn here yesterday that they are wild caught and are usually between 5-10 years old when chain stores sell them. The Russians I took in just over a month ago, which I thought were 5-6 years old, are probably closer to 10-16 yeard old.

jholmes26

KENNER
PetSmart here in Utah is just selling them as Testudos. I was surprised to learn here yesterday that they are wild caught and are usually between 5-10 years old when chain stores sell them. The Russians I took in just over a month ago, which I thought were 5-6 years old, are probably closer to 10-16 yeard old.
It was PetSmart can you tell from the picture how old he is?

Cozmo88

Rhode Island

He looks like a male because of the long tail. I’m unsure of age though.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I bought my Russian from Carol S and am very happy with my Merlina. Carol takes very good care of her babies. She is very helpful in helping you get a good start with your baby.