How to safely glue something inside turtles aquarium? (basking help)

Smile

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

I have a 75 gallon tank for my red eared slider. I have the largest zoo med turtle dock available for her (19" by 8"), but she's far too heavy and it usually sinks, so she cannot bask properly.

I came up with a solution that works to an extent - I also have a really big floating turtle log and if I put the log under the basking dock, it's able to support her weight so she basks comfortably. However, the log will eventually slip away from under the dock and then we're back to square one.

So my question is, is there anything I can use to safely glue the log under the dock? I am not interested in building a DIY above tank basking platform for her or anything else, so please don't suggest these. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
GE Silicone 1. Costs about $5-6 at HD or Lowes. It needs to be dry when you glue it and it takes about 24 hours to cure before you can put it back in the water.

Smile

5 Year Member
Hello again guys,

So I've decided to approach this again and was wondering if there was anyway she'd be able to separate the floating log from the basking dock overtime?

I will probably get the silicone this week and let you guys know how it goes, thanks.

Smile

5 Year Member
Once its properly glued it should hold forever.
Hello Tom,

I bought this one at a hardware store near my house. I’m waiting for the basking stuff to completely dry before I apply it on, but the instructions on the back say not for aquarium/underwater use.

I was recommended a GE silicone 1 so I bought it. Do you think it’s safe to use anyways?

Attachments

• 8736B59D-52CB-4FAC-B06C-86C53355710C.png
    8736B59D-52CB-4FAC-B06C-86C53355710C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello Tom,

I bought this one at a hardware store near my house. I’m waiting for the basking stuff to completely dry before I apply it on, but the instructions on the back say not for aquarium/underwater use.

I was recommended a GE silicone 1 so I bought it. Do you think it’s safe to use anyways?
Yes. That one is safe. So many of the other ones have UV protectants, mold inhibitors, coloring agents, etc...

Smile

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for your help! My turtle is finally able to bask inside her tank despite being far too heavy for any of the basking products available to us. I cannot express how happy I am now!

Now my only concern is the suction cups that eventually come off overtime. Is there anything I can do so that they don't come off as easy, or at least hold for a while? It appears that every few days I'll find the dock floating in the tank..

Unfortunately, I threw the tube of silicone out as it let out a horrendous smell when I was applying it. I do not mind buying something smaller if it works for this however, since it has proven to work.