How to seperate twins

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingface

5 Year Member
Just had an egg hatch with twins facing each other, belly to belly. The cord is thick. Has anyone tried using dental floss and tying them off? The other options are sterile scissors, or the vet. Last years batch had twins too and I let them stay together for a few days and cut them later. Both survived the separation, but they could get their feet on the ground. These can't. Any ideas?
Shelley

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
my first impression.. tie off in two places and cut inthe middle.. but someone with ACTUALY experience with this what you need!
good luck.. and of course.. PICS!

stingface

5 Year Member
Here are yesterdays pics. The twins were not hatched yet, they are in the egg with the two pecks in it. The other pics are nice shots of the egg sac at birth before it has absorbed.turtle 002.jpgturtle 008.jpgturtle 014.jpgturtle 015.jpgturtle 13.5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stingface

5 Year Member
I separated them yesterday and it went very well. After the egg sac had absorbed their feet touched the ground and they got a good soak. During the day the cord got twisted up. I sterilized a pair of scissors and snipped them apart. I didn't do the separate tie off because there just is not room for all that manipulation. One of the cords shed a drop of blood but it immediately stopped. They walked off as if nothing happened. They are doing great. Thanks for asking.

S

Scooter

Glad to hear they are doing well. Please keep us posted (especially with pics) :D

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
what cute babies!! :)
wow I've never even heard of twins before!
how incredible, thanks for posting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.