How to stop sulcata tortoise from pyramiding?

Olsha eihh

Location (City and/or State)
California
I have recently adopted 2 sulcata tortoise 1 which I think has a small amount of pyramiding and another that has a lot.I do not know the age of the sulcatas but I have had them for 2 months and have followed toms guide. But they seem to have gotten these recently. I keep their humidity high and I have a good basking spot for them. I recently started taking them outside in the day and let them walk around in grass, idk what can be causing these issues can someone help? Pictures below C9D8A189-76AA-49AF-A7C0-DEE895414049.jpeg34FF2C84-5C07-498B-AC37-99D547227698.jpeg766F12DF-3F7B-45DF-A886-8D3A84D1DE27.jpegEA673DB2-035C-42E0-BA73-C1C7FF680BDB.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Please add pictures of your enclosure. Also what are the exact temps and humidity levels? What are your light and heat soiurcez?

Reactions: Ink

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have recently adopted 2 sulcata tortoise 1 which I think has a small amount of pyramiding and another that has a lot.I do not know the age of the sulcatas but I have had them for 2 months and have followed toms guide. But they seem to have gotten these recently. I keep their humidity high and I have a good basking spot for them. I recently started taking them outside in the day and let them walk around in grass, idk what can be causing these issues can someone help? Pictures below View attachment 325449View attachment 325450View attachment 325451View attachment 325452
Do you keep them mostly indoors in a large closed chamber?
What substrate are they on?
They need to be housed separately. Tortoises should never be housed in pairs.
How many hours do they spend outside?
Where in CA? Very different conditions in Yucca Valley vs. Manhattan Beach.
Are you soaking daily?
What type of heat bulbs are you using? UV? What type of UV bulb?

Reactions: Ink

Olsha eihh

California
Are you soaking daily?
Are you soaking daily?
I am not home right now so I don’t have the name of the UV. I live in riverside CA, I use forest floor substrate. I keep them in a large like black container that I have seen people post on here. I did not know you cannot house them together but they never fight over food and usually stay in their own corners. They’re outside as long as the sun is out and the weather is warm enough. I water their outside habitat every day and there’s always moisture for them there. In the big container I do not have it closed off but it never really gets dry. I soak them daily in warm water . The pyramiding seems to have only started because 1 month ago they did not have any pyramiding or maybe it was too small I don’t know

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am not home right now so I don’t have the name of the UV. I live in riverside CA, I use forest floor substrate. I keep them in a large like black container that I have seen people post on here. I did not know you cannot house them together but they never fight over food and usually stay in their own corners. They’re outside as long as the sun is out and the weather is warm enough. I water their outside habitat every day and there’s always moisture for them there. In the big container I do not have it closed off but it never really gets dry. I soak them daily in warm water . The pyramiding seems to have only started because 1 month ago they did not have any pyramiding or maybe it was too small I don’t know
The way you are housing them is causing the pyramiding. Maybe you were referring to a different Tom, but everything you are doing is opposite of what I say to do.

They need to be indoors most of every day in monsoon conditions in a large closed chamber. Outside all day causes pyramiding. Open topped enclosures cause pyramiding in any climate, but especially ours in SoCal. there is no way to maintain the correct humidity in open topped enclosures, or when they are outside all day in a dry climate.

The pyramiding will get worse if you don't make some changes ASAP.

Here is that info again:

Olsha eihh

California
The way you are housing them is causing the pyramiding. Maybe you were referring to a different Tom, but everything you are doing is opposite of what I say to do.

They need to be indoors most of every day in monsoon conditions in a large closed chamber. Outside all day causes pyramiding. Open topped enclosures cause pyramiding in any climate, but especially ours in SoCal. there is no way to maintain the correct humidity in open topped enclosures, or when they are outside all day in a dry climate.

The pyramiding will get worse if you don't make some changes ASAP.

Here is that info again:
So do I just keep them inside and get a closed enclosure? Do I need to separate them? Also I had another question for you. If I make the all the conditions right will their shells grow normally? They don’t have big pyramids but I’m afraid the more they grow the more they pyramiding will grow

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So do I just keep them inside and get a closed enclosure? Do I need to separate them? Also I had another question for you. If I make the all the conditions right will their shells grow normally? They don’t have big pyramids but I’m afraid the more they grow the more they pyramiding will grow
Keep them mostly indoors in separate large closed chambers with monsoon conditions, and eventually the new growth will begin to come in smoother. The sooner the better.

They can go outside for basking and grazing for an hour a c couple of times per week, and give them a long soak after. As they begin to grow smoother, and get larger, they can stay out longer and longer.

Olsha eihh

California
Keep them mostly indoors in separate large closed chambers with monsoon conditions, and eventually the new growth will begin to come in smoother. The sooner the better.

They can go outside for basking and grazing for an hour a c couple of times per week, and give them a long soak after. As they begin to grow smoother, and get larger, they can stay out longer and longer.
Do I need a UV bulb if I let them outside? I saw on another one of your posts that you said you don’t need a uv if you let them outside. Also how do you recommend setting up a new chambered enclosure. I’m thinking of building 2 separate box like chambers but some people on the forum use a green house

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do I need a UV bulb if I let them outside? I saw on another one of your posts that you said you don’t need a uv if you let them outside. Also how do you recommend setting up a new chambered enclosure. I’m thinking of building 2 separate box like chambers but some people on the forum use a green house
You don't need UV if they can spend a couple of hours a week outside for most of the year. Its fine to skip a few weeks in winter.

I buy my closed chambers. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-stack-of-animal-plastics-closed-chambers.165626/

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
I made this one if you don’t want to buy one. It’s worked out very well. Lined it with plastic, use fine orchid bark mixed with coco coir, one end basking, one end CHE and ambient light in middle. I don’t use a UVB bulb since my tort goes out everyday. Lights mount easily from inside roof.
Picture of my two year old proves Tom’s care works!?

Attachments

• B5DB6284-6EF8-46BC-A657-B1E06079CB88.jpeg
    B5DB6284-6EF8-46BC-A657-B1E06079CB88.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 5EEF6BE5-086E-423F-B2BA-6495CE5CF874.jpeg
    5EEF6BE5-086E-423F-B2BA-6495CE5CF874.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 26

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I made this one if you don’t want to buy one. It’s worked out very well. Lined it with plastic, use fine orchid bark mixed with coco coir, one end basking, one end CHE and ambient light in middle. I don’t use a UVB bulb since my tort goes out everyday. Lights mount easily from inside roof.
Picture of my two year old proves Tom’s care works!?
Wow Melissacoop...that is the perfect looking tortoise!!!