How to switch from greens to grass

Location (City and/or State)
Gulf Coast of Florida
So, I've got to get my new guy over his addiction to grocery store greens, particularly romaine. It's what he's used to. I'm offering it and mazuri and grasses/weeds and he only eats the greens/lettuce. If I take the greens completely away, will he starve himself or eat the grass/mazuri?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Cut the torts food up fine and cut aLittle grass fine and mix them to gether . Then put less lettuce in to it and more grass slowly . You might Evan change from lettuce to spring mix .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I cut handfuls of grass with the scissors, then I hold a bunch of it in one hand and cut off tiny pieces with the scissors until it's all cut up. I mix it in with chopped greens/lettuces until it's all mixed in real good. Sometimes I grate a bit of cucumber and mix that all in with it too. It makes it hard for the little mouth to pick and choose.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
And remember, you are the boss.
Tortoises can go without food for quite a while, don't give in, you must be stronger than him.
Like with children,we must dictate what they can and can't eat.
He will eat when he is hungry enough.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
You have a Hermann's, right? It's very possible that you'll never get him to eat grass, which is fine, because it doesn't have to be a part of their diet.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You have a Hermann's, right? It's very possible that you'll never get him to eat grass, which is fine, because it doesn't have to be a part of their diet.
Yes this.

Sulcatas and Leopard Torts eat grass, but Hermann's eat much less and possibly none at all.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It took five months to get our tortoise attracted first to "safe" foods and ultimately mostly weeds. She was outside and active, which helped. Keep your chin up, mix in better foods, and one day he'll surprise you by taking one bite and then another of some "hated" food.