How to tag my Torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So. Cal desert
I did a search here and found a thread from a year ago about it. I think I like Laura's idea
"I would tag them so its visable and do the chip as a back up." << laura

Moe got out the other day when she decided to wake up early despite the cool morning. Hubby thought it was safe so left the garage door and the door between backyard and garage open. I can bet that wont happen again. He was in tears thinking we lost her. She made it all the way down the street and around the corner before someone saw and picked her up. They live a couple blocks from us and luckily their neighbor knows us. The couple who found Moe (they have torts too) asked him if he knew anyone with torts so he thought of us. He came over and asked if we were missing a tort. (I was at work during all this) Hubby was beside himself with relief. So needless to say I decided to look here for a good way to ID the torts in case it ever happens again.

I read one poster who used a sharpie marker and wrote her phone #. Where exactly was this done? Then my #1 choice - Laura's suggestion. My vet will have a time of getting them chipped but thats what I pay her for. lol ... Altho I do agree that I would not have thought of a chip had I not read it here even tho I have chipped dogs. If I found a tort I wouldnt have thought to check for one either. So I do like the little tag on the shell as well. I have address tags .... glue or tape? And where, also? I have the original registration stickers for the Deserts but I dont want to use them (I keep them in a drawer as well, Yvonne)

I'll tell ya ... it was an awful feeling when that happened. We have a lot of workers around here and she could have easily been picked up by someone not from the 'hood' and never been seen again. Not knowing a pets fate is worse than death, in my opinion. So we got lucky and as I told hubby, things like this is a wake up call to never become complacent in thinking these things wont happen. They are faster than people think.

I'm the pet worry wart and hubby thinks I'm neurotic about everyones safety so it was kinda nice .. only cuz it was a happy ending ... that I was able to justify my paranoia.

Here is a pic of her trying to head back down the driveway after hubby got her back home. I think she enjoyed her walk and will be looking for the chance to do it again.
DSCN3790.jpg

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
It does look like she enjoyed her walk :D Looks like a nice, clear day.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
well i have been in the same boat i lost my redfoot for a week. I handed out flyers and call the aspca. So i wanted to my torts chiped well no vet will do and to tell truth i am sure if it work and here is why. Most people don't know torts they think that are wild and put them in lakes or strems. Also some people might find one and just keep it. Most people don't think this is a pet i will found if it has achip. we all would like to think someone would retrun it but they want. In your case your tort was big. I like the idea of a GPS chip. i found my tort we has nextstore eat raaberrys for a week

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
there is a user here that got a dog ID tag and glued it to the shell... I have not done any research on this so i don't know if its recommended or not but might be worth looking into.

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
His name is Zamric, and it's a really cool idea:) although he used a glue that you would use on bridges will I can imagine would be impossible to get at a hardware store:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Melly-n-shorty said:
there is a user here that got a dog ID tag and glued it to the shell... I have not done any research on this so i don't know if its recommended or not but might be worth looking into.

I think that's Walking Rock.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
I thought of a dog tag and like the idea. Am thinking of double back tape instead of glue to adhere it. Now to figure out where .... I just looked at her picture and I'm wondering if the part of her shell under her neck is okay. On the outside that curves up. Or the part of her shell that drops down above her tail. Suggestions?

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
jaizei said:
Here is one of the threads has a close up picture of it. 2nd link is to comment about the epoxy.

Thank you for the links. I'm going to get a tag later today @ the pet shop.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
ok the id tag is a good idea but in my case my torths have goten out 4 tiimes last summer. My torts are still growhing my red foots are 6inch and 5 inch my sully are only 6 mohths old. i can't put one on yet.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Wirewehear said:
I thought of a dog tag and like the idea. Am thinking of double back tape instead of glue to adhere it. Now to figure out where .... I just looked at her picture and I'm wondering if the part of her shell under her neck is okay. On the outside that curves up. Or the part of her shell that drops down above her tail. Suggestions?

Walking Rock is the tort on the forum who has the dog tag glued to the top front of his carpace. Dbl sided tape might come off easily when he's digging around or getting wet. GPS tag seems like your best bet. BTW...beautiful tort!

Katherine

5 Year Member
Your tortoise looks quite pleased with her recent adventure! I think labeling tortoises is a great idea since we aren't walking them down the road everyday there is likely people only a few houses down who would have no idea where to return your tortoise/turtle in the event of an escape. I also think photographing them and keeping records of identifying marks is worthwhile, least you ever need to prove ownership of an escapee.

***Just thought it may be worth mentioning for those who may not be aware that many epoxies and some glues are extremely exothermic; when doing a shell repair on a tortoise a long time ago it took a lot of trials to determine which epoxy would adhere best without emitting an amount of heat that could be harmful to the shell.***

Status
Not open for further replies.