How to tell if they are pooping

sarsarthecat

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Crowley is my red foot, he's about the size of a golf ball. We've had his for 6 days. He eats and drinks fine. But I can't tell if he's been going to the bathroom. I've looked it his enclosure and I can't see anything. He burrows and hangs out in the moss a lot. From the Google search it was all adult poops.
Is there signs that he's constipated that I should look for? Thanks for readingIMG_20180822_190545544_LL.jpeg

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Crowley is cute. Are you giving him daily soaks in warm water. 20 minutes at least. They love to go in their little spa, and show us by pooping in it. :) The warm soaks get things moving, most often.

sarsarthecat

Michigan
Crowley is cute. Are you giving him daily soaks in warm water. 20 minutes at least. They love to go in their little spa, and show us by pooping in it. :) The warm soaks get things moving, most often.
I'll try that. I was told only to do it a once or twice a week but hear people say they do it daily

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should soak your baby daily for about 15 minutes. They usually poop in the water - that's how you'll know he's pooping!

sarsarthecat

Michigan
Crowley is my red foot, he's about the size of a golf ball. We've had his for 6 days. He eats and drinks fine. But I can't tell if he's been going to the bathroom. I've looked it his enclosure and I can't see anything. He burrows and hangs out in the moss a lot. From the Google search it was all adult poops.
Is there signs that he's constipated that I should look for? Thanks for readingView attachment 249496
Soaked him for 20 mins was about to get him out, and he finally went. Thanks everyone

Kevinrrussell

Michigan
45 minute soak in warm water should do the trick. My RF is notorious for eating his own brand :eek:
Todd your idea worked for me it takes mine well over 30 mins before she poops. She poops daily, when I work second shift and have the time.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Todd your idea worked for me it takes mine well over 30 mins before she poops. She poops daily, when I work second shift and have the time.
Mine too, takes about 30 minutes to get the pipes greased

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a similar type of substrate when I was growing out some babies and I seldom saw poop after a few minutes.
It was trampled or absorbed into the soil.
Is your temperature over 80? It needs to be for digestion.
I had an overturned ceramic floor tile, rough side up, that I fed them on (for toe nail and beak maintenance) and every so often, they popped on that.
Other than that, there was very little indication of the deed being done.