How to tell the sex of a Red Eared Slider

lamamireicy

Location (City and/or State)
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
I have two red eared slider turtles since they were very young and we have been waiting for them to mature so we can know weather they are boys or girls. I believe they are now big enough and i was told you should be able to tell by looking at their tales. well, i cant. Can any one help me figure out weather i have females or males.

Excuse turtle #1.. she/he did not want to come out of his/her shell

Turtle #1.jpegTurtle#1.jpegTurtle # 2.jpegTurtle #2.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Turtle number 2 is female. Turtle number 1 looks female too but I'd need to see a picture of the front claws to confirm.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Males have really big tails and front claws compared to females. Here's a picture of one of my young males for comparison.IMG_20200309_103531046.jpgIMG_20200309_103612807.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Both look female at this stage. It is indeed the front claws on sliders that is the first easy secondary secual characteristic that develops. By 4-5" a male slider (or painted, map, or cooter) will have dramatically elongated (Edward Scissorhands) claws. The tail will also thicken and elongate - often a bit later. Look for the cloaca to be well beyond the edge of the rear of the carapace.