How to treat shell rotting on painted turtles

Location (City and/or State)
Chennai
Please help me on treating shell rott for my painted turtles.. attaching the level of infection pics. Pls asap would be much helpful,.

Attachments

• IMG-20220523-WA0052.jpg
    IMG-20220523-WA0052.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20220523-WA0051.jpg
    IMG-20220523-WA0051.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 6

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That does look like shell rot. From your picture of its face, your Eastern Painted also looks ill, with swollen eyes. So it looks like it has been kept in poor conditions and may have a systemic infection by now. If so, veterinary treatment would be required with a more systemic antibiotic.

As far as the shell rot is concerned:

The first thing you need to do is correct the conditions that caused this. Poor water quality is the cause of shell rot. Review how the turtle is set up and how much water, and type of filtration you are using. Turtles need good, clean water with plenty of swimming space. A small amount of water can go bad quickly.

With shell rot, you must remove/scrape out all the softer/cheesy white material first. I then clean it and rinse liberally with betadine. I put the turtle in a bath of water with enough betadine added to the water to make it look like a dark tea. Soak in that for 20 - 30 minutes. Then keep the turtle in a tub with moist towels overnight. Not in water. Keep the turtle warm - around 80°-85°. The next day you can put the turtle back in its enclosure ensuring the water is clean. Bump up water temps to 75°-80°. You can apply some athletes foot cream to the affected area daily, dry docking the turtle as described above for about 30 minutes after application. If you get all the active rot out when cleaning initially, it will heal. A cast that severe will leave scarring on the shell permanently.

Keep the tank and water conditions really clean!

Chennai
I appreciate everyone who jumped in to help me, i would be happy if i get the ointment pictures so that i can show to pharamacy people to get the same !!

And also few care tips on water condition , on how to check if the water is good and when is the right time to change the water, good food diet, and as i im going to keep in outdoor only, i will attach the tank size for reference. And Im from India. I will also attach other turtle's video please let me know if they are okay and if possible on finding the gender would be greatly appreciated too and the right species of both.
Thanks a ton for tons of question i asked,.. any detailed information wil be very much informative for other too.

Video 1:

Video 2:

Thanks again friends

Attachments

• IMG-20220523-WA0055.jpg
    IMG-20220523-WA0055.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220523-221811_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220523-221811_Chrome.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 4

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Weekly water changes help. Once a week drain half the water and fill it back up. Turtles produce a lot of waste. Painted turtles are omnivores, eating aquatic plants, crustaceans, carrion occasionally, commercial diet, minnows and fish, snails, shrimp, clams, etc. Aquatic plants also help to filter the water. They thrive off the turtles waste.Your turtle seems too small to sex at the moment. Also make sure the water is kept at an appropriate temperature. Around 84 degrees so about 29 celcius. This keeps the turtles appetite up. And a basking area of 90

Attachments

• 20220521_150801.jpg
    20220521_150801.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Chennai
Weekly water changes help. Once a week drain half the water and fill it back up. Turtles produce a lot of waste. Painted turtles are omnivores, eating aquatic plants, crustaceans, carrion occasionally, commercial diet, minnows and fish, snails, shrimp, clams, etc. Aquatic plants also help to filter the water. They thrive off the turtles waste.Your turtle seems too small to sex at the moment. Also make sure the water is kept at an appropriate temperature. Around 84 degrees so about 29 celcius. This keeps the turtles appetite up. And a basking area of 90
Great thanks for the info and picture,. When comes to aquatic plants, we have ferns mostly available here, and water lettuce, pothos, lemon grass. And is all the aquatic plants edible to use inside tank ? How about the tank size is it lookin good enough for now ? Please update which one of the online packed food can be given...

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Great thanks for the info and picture,. When comes to aquatic plants, we have ferns mostly available here, and water lettuce, pothos, lemon grass. And is all the aquatic plants edible to use inside tank ? How about the tank size is it lookin good enough for now ? Please update which one of the online packed food can be given...
I'm not sure about pathos, but the others are fine. The tank is suitable for now with a basking spot, but of course you'll have to upgrade. A pond would be even better. I also failed to mention the importance of a filter, but the plants do act as a filter, you'd just have to be consistent with water changes. As far as commercial food I recommend mazuri turtle and tortoise chow. They can eat both as well as the croc chow, but feed pellets sparingly, as natural foods are much better. The pellets help get nutrients that may be missed in a natural diet.