how to trim a tortoise's beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wondering4toolong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT, USA
Don't you offer her anything natural or made specifically for torts to "chew" on? I find that allowing my guys access to tort blocks, cuttle bones, mango pits (some flesh still on), sometimes even dog bones and other hard things will keep beaks trim naturally!

Nails can be a bit tougher, I like to add pavers and rough surfaces to stroll across in their environment. I usually only do nails 1-2 times a year and I have yet to do a beak!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The substrate if it is sand, get rid of it or mix it with cypress mulch or coconut coir or plain dirt.. More substrate, less sand. Sand Causes impaction. Also, she does need a much larger enclosure. with plants to hide under and for security. Also, flat rock ruff rock to eat off of will help trim her beak and a few to walk on will also help keep nails trimmed. A more natural housing will help a lot. No one cuts their beaks or nails in the wild. It shouldn't have to be done often at all, if they get enough excercise on the different terrains. Also, a large water dish available 24/7f for her to get into and a hide to sleep under. Think enough substrate for her to burrow into, about 4-6 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.