How to use Eco Earth as Substrate/ I Hear it was Dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Hey guys, I have had Turbo since Christmas and am trying to get everything perfect for him still. I think he is about 6 or 7 months.
So far I have used just topsoil as his substrate. My most recent is cedar chips with topsoil on top. I recently just bought 6 packs of eco earth and was wondering what worked best for you in regards to humidity/messyness.

1. Plain eco earth
2. Eco earth mixed with topsoil
3. Eco earth mixed with playsand.

Also, while looking up which is better I found a few websites that says eco earth is dangerous because it has the potential of being digested and then expanding and causing an impaction. I understand many websites are outdated or just plain wrong but I just wanted to cheack :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
MikeCow1 said:
Eco Earth is coconut coir isn't it? A lot of us here use it

Yes. Eco-Earth, Plantation Soil, Bed-a-Beast....those are all coconut coir and perfectly fine to use for any tortoise.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yes its coco fiber works great and holds humidity its even somewhat safe if consumed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do not use cedar chips, get them out right away, they are dangerous. Eco earth is coconut coir. It is the best to use in my opinion, and the safest other then plain dirt. Coir Holds moisture really good and won't mold. The very best is probably regular dirt, with no pesticides etc in it of course. A lot of people though will mix sand with it or soil/dirt. Sand alone can cause impactions. The coir will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.