How To Weigh A Large Tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Moderator note: I was going to give picture credit for the above picture, but I had trouble loading the picture and it took me a couple days to figure out. In the meantime, I've forgotten the username of the person who posted this picture. Please contact me if it's your picture or if you know who it belongs to.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
How to LIFT a very large sulcata....

The males are the big ones, so I now need 2 people for mine that is over 200 lbs. A big sulcata can and will crush your fingers/hand if placed in the wrong spot by it's legs...

One is in front and grabs him by the gulars.
The other person in back grabs BETWEEN the hind legs. The spracaudal curves under and is a good place to grab.

Then - lift onto the scale!

OH... and mine crushed the 5 gallon bucket we placed him on, so get a sturdy bucket!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Or you can do like I did for Bob, 125 lbs...get 3 strong male neighbors to put him in the back of my Camaro...then I drive fast as I dare...hoping to drive the 30 or so miles before he ruins the inside of my car...go inside the feed store and get 2 young strong guys in Wranglers to get Bob outa the car...and wiggle my fingers and he follows me right on top of the in ground scale...I just always enjoyed doing that with Bob...I had so much fun with him...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Or you can do like I did for Bob, 125 lbs...get 3 strong male neighbors to put him in the back of my Camaro...then I drive fast as I dare...hoping to drive the 30 or so miles before he ruins the inside of my car...go inside the feed store and get 2 young strong guys in Wranglers to get Bob outa the car...and wiggle my fingers and he follows me right on top of the in ground scale...I just always enjoyed doing that with Bob...I had so much fun with him...
Hmmm, I'm guessing you liked the young men in their wranglers too ?

Obbie

Minnesota
I pick up 50 pound + Mali ?? girl. Does anyone find the hind lift, feel like it could cut your fingers ?? I use anything near, rag, glove, towel to protect my hand. My question, are they supposed to get that sharp ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I pick up 50 pound + Mali ?? girl. Does anyone find the hind lift, feel like it could cut your fingers ?? I use anything near, rag, glove, towel to protect my hand. My question, are they supposed to get that sharp ?
yes, that's protection...if you are bent on picking him up...grab a hand hold at his head he should have pulled it in, then grab right where his tail is...and pick him up that way...never over a leg hole...it will rip your fingers bloody...