How to winter a tort?

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
Winter is coming so I have been reading about things to feed baby Sheldon. I got a great list of store bought leafy greens from Carol and have surfed the database. I've noticed that most are feed in moderation, cannot be feed at the same time or with a varied diet.. At the moment his majority is spring mix and variations of the dandelion family leaves and flowers. I bought some kale to toss once in awhile. I guess my question is what is considered moderation in this instance? i. e. Kale every other day and mustard greens in between? Will he get bored with the same things? I'm planning a tort garden in the spring and possibly drying food for over the next winter ..? Any ideas on winter "meal plans" lol

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Winter is coming so I have been reading about things to feed baby Sheldon. I got a great list of store bought leafy greens from Carol and have surfed the database. I've noticed that most are feed in moderation, cannot be feed at the same time or with a varied diet.. At the moment his majority is spring mix and variations of the dandelion family leaves and flowers. I bought some kale to toss once in awhile. I guess my question is what is considered moderation in this instance? i. e. Kale every other day and mustard greens in between? Will he get bored with the same things? I'm planning a tort garden in the spring and possibly drying food for over the next winter ..? Any ideas on winter "meal plans" lol
I didn't know you got your new little one. I'm so happy for you. You can just watch to see what your little Sheldon likes the best. But then try to add some things too so there's no fixation on a single food. Use the favorite food also if you need to give the darling brat something they can't say no too

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I didn't know you got your new little one. I'm so happy for you. You can just watch to see what your little Sheldon likes the best. But then try to add some things too so there's no fixation on a single food. Use the favorite food also if you need to give the darling brat something they can't say no too
LOL!! he is a stinker! It will just be a week tomorrow, I was waiting to mention it until I knew everything was good, HE IS AWESOME!! Eats a ton the hides, he's getting comfortable around us now and my son will hold leaves for him to eat, it's so cute! Ok, I'll see what else I can find while I'm out ! Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spring mix and other grocery store foods are not a great diet. Those things lack fiber, lack calcium, some of them have the wrong Ca to Ph ratio, and some of them have compounds like goiterogens that are to be avoided or not fed too often. Spring mix in particular is low fiber because it is "baby" greens. If you must use grocery store foods, you should favor endive and escarole as the main staples. Then use lots of variety to round out the diet. Cilantro, kale, collard greens, mustard and turnip greens, etc. Soak and mix in some ZooMed Grassland pellets for variety and fiber. It will take some time to get the tortoise to accept this, or any new food, so start with just a tiny amount mixed in at first. I also highly recommend and "herbal hay" to sprinkle on top. I like the one from tortoisesupply.com.

Try to use broadleaf weeds, leaves, flowers, and other such things. There are tons and tons of weeds in SC. Take some samples to a local garden center for ID help. Kudzu is good to feed some times. Hostas. Lots of good stuff grows in the south.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Spring mix and other grocery store foods are not a great diet. Those things lack fiber, lack calcium, some of them have the wrong Ca to Ph ratio, and some of them have compounds like goiterogens that are to be avoided or not fed too often. Spring mix in particular is low fiber because it is "baby" greens. If you must use grocery store foods, you should favor endive and escarole as the main staples. Then use lots of variety to round out the diet. Cilantro, kale, collard greens, mustard and turnip greens, etc. Soak and mix in some ZooMed Grassland pellets for variety and fiber. It will take some time to get the tortoise to accept this, or any new food, so start with just a tiny amount mixed in at first. I also highly recommend and "herbal hay" to sprinkle on top. I like the one from tortoisesupply.com.

Try to use broadleaf weeds, leaves, flowers, and other such things. There are tons and tons of weeds in SC. Take some samples to a local garden center for ID help. Kudzu is good to feed some times. Hostas. Lots of good stuff grows in the south.
I give him cat's ear/dandelion leaves and flowers everyday I have 4 or 5 species of hosta, an impatient rose bush if he can eat that, holly hock leaves... I'll do more I'f those and less spring mix

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I asked a couple of weeks ago about substrate that you can buy at Home Depot that is less expensive than the zoo -med repti-bark. Does anyone know or remember what it is? I know it was some sort of mulch or bark??? TIA
You can get both orchid bark or Cypress mulch at home Depot.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
YES!!! this is exactly what I want to do! how do you dry them and how do you rehydrate?
I just take the leaves or flowers and spread them out evenly on a cardboard box for about 2 weeks. You have to spread them out evenly so they're not piled up or I've found they'll mold. When I jar them I add a couple packets of dessicant to get any remaining moisture. Most times I don't rehydrate them I just sprinkle it on whatever else I'm feeding. Sometimes I soak them in warm water for a few minutes then strain the water off.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I pick things like hibiscus flowers and leaves, and dandelion over the summer and dry them out and jar them for the winter months. You can also find a good selection of food items from @Kapidolo FarmsView attachment 282817
I just take the leaves or flowers and spread them out evenly on a cardboard box for about 2 weeks. You have to spread them out evenly so they're not piled up or I've found they'll mold. When I jar them I add a couple packets of dessicant to get any remaining moisture. Most times I don't rehydrate them I just sprinkle it on whatever else I'm feeding. Sometimes I soak them in warm water for a few minutes then strain the water off.
that's awesome! where do you get the desiccant. I have a food dehydrator, want site I'f I should use it for that lol

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
that's awesome! where do you get the desiccant. I have a food dehydrator, want site I'f I should use it for that lol
I work at a warehouse and have access to it but I'm sure you could probably find it on Amazon or eBay though. Not even sure it's necessary but I do it anyway.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
YES!!! this is exactly what I want to do! how do you dry them and how do you rehydrate?
Small Pet Select has a product for rabbits called Vita-Licious Essentials. I just sprinkle a bit now and then on my russian's food. It's all dried herbs and flowers. The smell wakes him up in the winter and he'll come out to eat.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I work at a warehouse and have access to it but I'm sure you could probably find it on Amazon or eBay though. Not even sure it's necessary but I do it anyway.
Can you reuse the ones already in the packages that we buy? I get a little packet every month with my inhaler and other things too.