How wet should my tank be for the humidity to stay up for my hatchling Sulcatas?

Bkelly

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Hi I have a question I need some serious answers to. Yes I have read multiple beginner forums and what not. I recently have my hatchling sulctas in 50% cypress mulch and 50% coco coir. They are both mixed together making up their substrate. Now my humidity stays up around 60% usually, but I try to keep it at 70% or higher, but like I said it drops back down to 60% sometimes. I am trying to keep the humidity up the best way possible and I have a mister that I mist the tank with, but how much misting should I do? I personally like to have the substrate soaked because the humidity stays up longer, but my bf thinks it should be kind of misted, and he was like if you keep making it that wet it will get moldy.

So opinions anyone? How much should I soak it or what other items would help keep humidity higher?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Is it an open or closed enclosure? If it's open no matter how hard you try it's just not going to happen.

Bkelly

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
It is glass and has a screen slide off top. We have the heat lamps on the top and I usually throw a towel over half of it to keep the humidity and heat in. The heat is never a problem, it just the humidity!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
It is glass and has a screen slide off top. We have the heat lamps on the top and I usually throw a towel over half of it to keep the humidity and heat in. The heat is never a problem, it just the humidity!

The screen is allowing your humidity out. I know some people use foil or other things to help keep it in. This might help more than the towels?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are fighting a losing battle with the open top. It is also less than ideal for the tortoise to live that way.

The substrate should be damp, but not wet. Misting only adds moisture for a brief period and it also adds evaporative cooling. Its a never ending vicious cycle. End the cycle by building or buying a closed chamber. Rather than trying to constantly add ever more humidity as the humidity escapes through your open top and chimney effect created by your heat lamps, just stop the humidity from escaping in the first place.

Two examples here, but there are many more examples in the enclosure section:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/