How wet should the Substrate be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielle95045

5 Year Member
I have a 10 month old Sulcata. Thanks to the great advise of this forum over the last 6 months I have moved him from a 10 gallon aquarium to a homemade tort table 3'X4', and have changed his substrate from bark ( which the pet store told me to use) to coco coir (which I love and is easy to clean). Once a week I flip the soil and rehydrate the coco coir.

My question is how wet should I keep the substrate. It starts out wet but by Saturday the coconut is pretty dry, should I keep it wetter or do it more often? I am afraid that if its too wet that even with his table being 80-100 deg he will get wet and cold especially at night when the temp drops to 70-80?
If someone has a little insite to proper substrate care I would appriciate the help. Thank you!

EKLC

5 Year Member
You want to have a wide variety of microclimates in your enclosure, so your tort can choose what he needs at the time. Wet areas should be warm, because a wet tort loses heat more quickly than a dry tort. lots of people here like to have a "humid hide" which can be an upside down tupperware near a heat source such as a ceramic heat emitter where the tort can enjoy shelter, ~85 degree temps, and increased humidity. Definitely leave some dry areas for him though. Especially at night and in the cool areas of the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I like to keep it damp. But mine are also covered and kept warm. I think 70 is too cool for a 10 month old sulcata, in an open table with damp substrate. For my substrate, I just add water as needed.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
EKLC said:
You want to have a wide variety of microclimates in your enclosure, so your tort can choose what he needs at the time. Wet areas should be warm, because a wet tort loses heat more quickly than a dry tort. lots of people here like to have a "humid hide" which can be an upside down tupperware near a heat source such as a ceramic heat emitter where the tort can enjoy shelter, ~85 degree temps, and increased humidity. Definitely leave some dry areas for him though. Especially at night and in the cool areas of the enclosure.

This is what I do.

I have a section where he basks that is rather dry, and a corner that is much more moist. Then the rest is pretty balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.