How will I know if my russian is pregnant? How to prepare???

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Duluth, MN
I have two russians, one male and one female. The Female was pretty young when I got her, so the male and female didnt mate the first year. Now just recently I have seen the male mating with the female. (so I believe)

If the female is indeed pregnant, how long will it take for her to lay her eggs? Also, how should I prepare for the event if it does take place? I currently have the torts in an indoor habbitat with about 5-6 inches of eco earth substrate. I bring them outdoors regularly in a portable outdoor enclosure, but they dont stay in it over night.

Should I get an incubator, or will the tortoise take care of it herself? Should I remove the male? How long will it take for the eggs to hatch?

Sorry for all the Q's, but I'm a noobie when it comes to tortoise breeding. Any other info would be great!

Thanks!

5 Year Member
wow thats exactly like mine except i have them in an outdoor enclosure thats 6ft deep and sorry but i cant really help you bkuz its my first time to. hope it works out for you

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Males will mate with just about anything. Rocks, fake turtles and the like. You could always palpatate the back of the tortoise to feel for eggs. also if she is gravid, she will undoublty pace a lot. IMO I think 6 inches is not deep enough for egg laying, if she is indeed gravid.

Status
Not open for further replies.