How will I know that it is too cold for tortoise to stay outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malonemadness

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have two Russian tortoises. One is young maybe 4 or 5 years old. The other is about 30 years old and recently given to me. Right now they stay outside during the day and I bring them in at night. I think they would prefer to stay outside because I always find them buried in the dirt and leaves at dusk. I live in San Diego, Ca. Temps right now are 80-90's day and high 60's low 70's night. I was thinking of just letting them decide if they want to hibernate but I don't know if it is cold enough in the winter to do it properly outside. I don't want them to get too cold before going in to hibernation. Any advice.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
It is not cold enough right now for them to go into hibernation, as long as you have them in a east or south facing enclosure you will be fine, that way they can warm up in the morning. If you look at russians in the wild they are only out for a few months and then go right back underground. As for hibernating this winter, you should never hibernate a turtle or tortoise unless you have already had him/her a year. You do not want to hibernate new torts and turts because they could be ill. As long as it is I believe 40 degrees outside they will hibernate, my boxies hibernate just fine and we are in AZ. I believe in letting them hibernate naturally, of course I have considered refer hibernating so that I could make sure they are not losing to much weight.

Kevin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
It is not cold enough right now for them to go into hibernation, as long as you have them in a east or south facing enclosure you will be fine, that way they can warm up in the morning. If you look at russians in the wild they are only out for a few months and then go right back underground. As for hibernating this winter, you should never hibernate a turtle or tortoise unless you have already had him/her a year. You do not want to hibernate new torts and turts because they could be ill. As long as it is I believe 40 degrees outside they will hibernate, my boxies hibernate just fine and we are in AZ. I believe in letting them hibernate naturally, of course I have considered refer hibernating so that I could make sure they are not losing to much weight.

Hello Jenn,
I am in the Phoenix area and am looking to adopt a large Sulcata and want to ask questions to someone who lives in the area as they arise...this site has already helped me. :)

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Hi, your russian tortoises can tolerate pretty cold temperatures.
However, make sure their outdoor enclosure is escape proof, predator proof too.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello Jenn,
I am in the Phoenix area and am looking to adopt a large Sulcata and want to ask questions to someone who lives in the area as they arise...this site has already helped me. :)
[/quote]

Ask away, you can ask on here or you can pm, email me not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.