Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! My name is Zeke and I have a problem.:cool:
097-1.jpg

My new caretaker, Jacqui, can't make up her mind how to do the sulcata area. This is a problem for me, because I heard when I came here that after 12 years of being by myself that I could have other Leopards around me!! :D I waited patiently for something called "quarantine period" to be over. Now that silly human is saying I can't try meeting the other leopards until we have our full area to escape in.:rolleyes: Problem is the redfoots are in part of it. :(

They can't move out until she fixes their new enclosure, but that can't happen until the sulcatas move out of the temp pen they have in part of the RF's area.
029.jpg

These are the sulcatas who are going to be living in the sulcata suites.
The Boyz
026.jpg

and Tilman.
051-2.jpg

:D Zeke is correct, I can't seem to really make up my mind how to fix the sulcata area. :rolleyes: So maybe all of you could tell me how you would do it, if this was yours to do.

I do know I need it made into three sections. Tilman needs his own area and the Boys are still good with each other, but want to have ready a third enclosure IF they ever need to be housed seperately.

Each area will need it's own water feature and mudwallow (the Boyz love mudbaths:D). I would like three trees, but not sure what types I want. There will be an electric fence put up, to keep out the coons and such. I want these enclosures made so they will be strong enough to keep them in, once they are full grown.

The area for them is roughly 150' by 240' after taking about 10' on the north side for two staggered rows of Althea (Rose of Sharon) bushes and on the east side about the same width was taken for a double row of grape vines. The north side faces the street, east is a small lot horses graze in about 3 weeks a year, south faces a field, and west the house/backyard.

It's an old horse lot that hasn't been used for two years. Last year a friend was suppose to put a cow/calf out there, so we let the weeds go unmowed, then he never brought them over. So lots of huge dock weeds that Josh is trying to get under control. There are some big patches of dandelions and clover already free starting. There are no trees currently in the lot. The ones you can see in the pictures are all on the other sides of the fences. There is one raised hill about 6' high and 8-10' across in the first third of the lot (Northwest section).

On the west side about 1/3 down the fence line is an old garage that with work could be made into indoor area for winter time currently for the Boyz.

So if this was yours to make into a sulcata area, what would you do? What fencing? What plants? Would you fence off sections within the each enclosure to rotate allowing plants to regrow? Give me your ideas, suggestions, thoughts, ect..,

091.jpg

090.jpg

092.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Jacqui and Zeke, Sorry I can't help you with the enclosure but I just wanted to tell you guys "congratulations to the both of you to have found each other :D". Zeke, you are a real cutie ;)!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
I wanted to ask, is the 240x150 pen JUST for the sulcatas and then you have another area for the Leo? Or you have 240x150 to use for the 3 Sulcata pens and the Leopard pen?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Hmmm, well as far as trees, I am really in love with weeping cherry trees. I want one for my Redfoot pen. They do not get too tall, and provide a lot of shade underneath, because of how they spread out and hang down.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I've never kept sulcatas, so can't speak speak for the fence or strength there of (perhahaps horse fence w/ 24" sight barriers). For trees I would suggest mulberry and redbud (I've read that legumes are eaten in wild). You may also consider native prairie grasses (probably most nutritous choice).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I always use a piece of graph paper to map these things out. In your case, one square could equal ten feet. Usually, in the process of mapping it out I'll see the strengths and potential weaknesses of each design.

For walls, I like cinderblocks or slumpstone blocks three high and staggered. Totally temporary and movable anytime you want (like if you had to separate a couple of males) yet rock solid. If you had bruisers, like Bob, you could drive some re-bar down through them, but I've never had to do this. The alternative , for me, is to sink some 2x4" pressure treated posts and screw some 24" plywood or some 2x12s into it all the way around. Another alternate I've seen that would work well if yours are diggers is to use that corrugated steel that you already have. Cut it into 5' lengths, get a trencher and make a 24" deep trench along the perimeter of your intended enclosure, stand them up on end, drop them in the hole and pop-rivet the seams together. Then fill the trench back in and VOILA! a nice, smooth 36" wall with a 24" underground digging barrier.

For trees, I love the mulberry. They grow like weeds anywhere and all of my tortoises love the leaves. I give my sulcatas bag fulls from Cory's house. Deep shade in the summer and full sun in the winter since the leaves fall off. I like to plant opuntia everywhere too, but you have to encircle the bottom with welded wire or slumpstone block if you are going to plant it in their enclosure. Same with rose of sharon. You could make a nice "forest" of rose of sharon if you spaced them out right. Terry K posted pics of this not too long ago. I've just started messin' with grape vines. Great for shade and food, if you make something for them to grow up on, like a trellis around the perimeter, for example. I've read that if you pinch off the new and budding grape clusters, you'll get more vine/leaf growth. I don't think I'll be seeing any grapes on my vines for a few years.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What a tortoise paradise it will be when finished!

Lucky you to have so many options--and an old garage to convert to a heated enclosure for winter! Don't tell Bob, he'll be jealous and want to come visit the Boyz to teach them how to scrape through the walls. ;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Seiryu said:
I wanted to ask, is the 240x150 pen JUST for the sulcatas and then you have another area for the Leo? Or you have 240x150 to use for the 3 Sulcata pens and the Leopard pen?

This area is only for the three sulcatas.

kyryah said:
Hmmm, well as far as trees, I am really in love with weeping cherry trees. I want one for my Redfoot pen. They do not get too tall, and provide a lot of shade underneath, because of how they spread out and hang down.
I had been thinking a Weeping Willow for one of the trees. I had thought more of the tree your suggesting for either the Redfoots or the Hingeback negaplex I have in the works. But pretty tree I agree.

Itort said:
I've never kept sulcatas, so can't speak speak for the fence or strength there of (perhahaps horse fence w/ 24" sight barriers). For trees I would suggest mulberry and redbud (I've read that legumes are eaten in wild). You may also consider native prairie grasses (probably most nutritous choice).
I hadn't thought about a Redbud. Going to have to add that to the maybe list. Thanlks! I already do have mulberry trees and love feeding them to the tortoises (the leaves that is).

Tom said:
I always use a piece of graph paper to map these things out. In your case, one square could equal ten feet. Usually, in the process of mapping it out I'll see the strengths and potential weaknesses of each design.

For walls, I like cinderblocks or slumpstone blocks three high and staggered. Totally temporary and movable anytime you want (like if you had to separate a couple of males) yet rock solid. If you had bruisers, like Bob, you could drive some re-bar down through them, but I've never had to do this. The alternative , for me, is to sink some 2x4" pressure treated posts and screw some 24" plywood or some 2x12s into it all the way around. Another alternate I've seen that would work well if yours are diggers is to use that corrugated steel that you already have. Cut it into 5' lengths, get a trencher and make a 24" deep trench along the perimeter of your intended enclosure, stand them up on end, drop them in the hole and pop-rivet the seams together. Then fill the trench back in and VOILA! a nice, smooth 36" wall with a 24" underground digging barrier.

For trees, I love the mulberry. They grow like weeds anywhere and all of my tortoises love the leaves. I give my sulcatas bag fulls from Cory's house. Deep shade in the summer and full sun in the winter since the leaves fall off. I like to plant opuntia everywhere too, but you have to encircle the bottom with welded wire or slumpstone block if you are going to plant it in their enclosure. Same with rose of sharon. You could make a nice "forest" of rose of sharon if you spaced them out right. Terry K posted pics of this not too long ago. I've just started messin' with grape vines. Great for shade and food, if you make something for them to grow up on, like a trellis around the perimeter, for example. I've read that if you pinch off the new and budding grape clusters, you'll get more vine/leaf growth. I don't think I'll be seeing any grapes on my vines for a few years.

:D I do the list/drawing thing too. My problem is I keep being drawn more into thoughts, ideas and visions for the other enclosures I have in the works.

I have the cactus growing in the works (thanks to a very sweet and generous member I might add). I have the grapes and rose of sharon in the mix already (fact is every pen I do has those in it. I like the mulberry tree and have several around already. Was just kinda hoping for something different to plant.

Cinder blocks were one of my first thoughts. One big drawback to those are I can only haul 30 home at a time in my truck and do you know how many it would take? :D Still am holding onto maybe using them inside the individual enclosures to close off different areas along the way (such as for regrowth or just to change the traffic pattern and perhaps give them more change of pace.

Had also thought the short wood stockade fencing til I saw what Bob did right away to his :(.

Had thought about using the metal sheeting like I have now, only put a topper on it (maybe even only a few sections) and more permanent posts.

Stephanie Logan said:
What a tortoise paradise it will be when finished!

Lucky you to have so many options--and an old garage to convert to a heated enclosure for winter! Don't tell Bob, he'll be jealous and want to come visit the Boyz to teach them how to scrape through the walls. ;)
:D Bob would be welcomed, but no teaching would be allowed.:p That's why I want to hopefully build it right and make it big and strong enough, so they never find out about how fun it can be to escape. :D

Any more ideas folks?

Status
Not open for further replies.