Howard (Sulcata Hatchling)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicaver

5 Year Member
Hello all! I am the pround new mommy of a Sulcata. He has been doing well he sleeps a lot!! I believe he is about 3 mos and soaks daily, loves being outside I take him out about an hour each day. The only thing that concerns me is his eating while outside he grazes a little, first couple days he ate well but now he seems not to be interested in anything i am giving him. I have offered him Romaine, hibiscus leaves, grass, organic spring mix- what else can I try? How much do they usually eat? he has been popping regularly while I soak him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

The appetite dropping off can sometimes be an indicator of a problem. All of the care info you listed sounds good, but more info will help. Where are you? Does he have some shade available outside? What is the indoor set up like? What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night? Many people make the mistake of letting baby sulcatas get too cool at night. A cool down at night is excellent for some species, but not for hatchling sulcatas.

Nicaver

5 Year Member
We are in California. Set up is indoors temp stays at about 80 to 90 has a cool spot that goes to 70-75. Basking area gets up to 90. Outdoors has a lot of shade for him. I am making a humidity box as we speak!

image-2147015480.png

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nicaver said:
Just seems on many things there are so many opinions

Welcome! That is so very true, mainly because there is no one right way to do anything for these special creatures. You just need to read, decide what sounds the best to you, implement it, and see if it works for you, your tortoise, and your situation. It normally takes some tweaking to find just the right combination that works best.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

The appetite dropping off can sometimes be an indicator of a problem. All of the care info you listed sounds good, but more info will help. Where are you? Does he have some shade available outside? What is the indoor set up like? What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night? Many people make the mistake of letting baby sulcatas get too cool at night. A cool down at night is excellent for some species, but not for hatchling sulcatas.
Thats so true! My night cool temps led to Cooper getting his 1st and only URI when he was around 6 months old I believe. Very stressful time for him and me. Thanks God for the great people on here that told me what to do in order to save his life and get him back to good health! :)

Nicaver

5 Year Member
How can you tell if he has a Uri? And if so what is the next step.

Nicaver

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone Howard is doing good . He loves his humidity box and is a lot more active.

Status
Not open for further replies.