Howdy from S. Ft Worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldkid

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I've been lurking around your site for two days now, and figured it was time to sign in and say Hello.
I just got my first tortoise two days ago, she was given to me. All I know about her is she was purchased from Pet smart as a hatchling, first owners took very poor care of her, she was given away, and again the owner did not really want her, but wanted to see her in a better home.She is a Red foot tortoise, around 9 inches in lenghth. I was given a black light to keep on her at night and some tortoise pellets. To say the least, I'm looking for all the basic info I can find.
I hope to find it here and much more. Thank you Tim

oldkid

5 Year Member
I have her in a 120 gal vivarium with very high humity, I also take her outside each day for some sun time. Her shell is fairly smooth with the new growth being no more than a quarter inch below the oldest, or highest parts, if that makes sence.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. :) if you can post a pic and a list of everything you can think of that is used for the enclosure, including the temps and humidity levels, we can help you tweak it.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
welcome. Basics for this species is;

Mulch for substrate. Cypress, eucalyptis, Hardwood, Orchid bark, or repti bark (its expensive though) the stuff from lowes/home depot work great, just not additives or color.

Enclosure needs to be decent size for this animal being larger. I would say a 4x8 or 3x6 if your space is limited.

Good size water tub for them to drink, soak, do whatever. Large enough for him to get inside the tub.

heat source, to maintain good ambient temperatures in the range of 78 on the cool side and 83-87 on the warm side for this species.

UVB. Tube style can be bought as a combo (fixture and light) at petsmart/petcos. Mercury vapors bulbs can be used as well.

Hide. Provide a good hide for them to seek "shelter, and feel safe". Tortoises need a refuge to stay and seek shelter. Corners are most typical usage for a good hide. You can use a small tub with a hole cut out of it for a hide or some stone propped up to make a cave.

Add some decorations wether live or fake plants these help with hiding as wel as a nice look.

Humidity is a need for these species. You can add a humudifer, or spray the enclosure with warm water in the mornings. Placing a top on the enclosure is a good way to keep moisture/humidity in as well.

Food. mostly dark leadfy greens(mustard, kale, turnip, collards, endive, escarole, cactus fruit and pads, hibiscus flower/leaves, mulberry leaves, grape leaves NOT FRUIT, Red tip lettuce is ok, no iceberg. Feed fruit very sparingly as its high in sugars and oxalates that will interupt with calcium needed by the tortoise to develop vitamin D. Mazuri tortoise diet is a wonderful additive a few times a week.

and finally. Enjoy your redfoot.

Should be the basics for yah.

oldkid

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies. Lets see, the temps are in the mid to upper 70's (I know I've got to get them up, and I will this weekend) humity is at 80%. My substrait is a mix of clay, sand, peat, and leaves. It's 2" deep now, but I making it much deeper this weekend. What is the best light to go with? My vivarium is 4" by 2" and 2" high, right now I have two screw in twister bulbs with 6500k each, and one 18" floresent. Also keep in mind this setup is temp.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you talking about the compact fluorescent spiral bulbs? I wouldn't use those. They are known to have caused blindness or eye problems in hatchling tortoises.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Welcome, I was born in Ft. Worth but haven't been back, been in San Antonio ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.