Howdy from Texas

Kelley Smith

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
I just wanted to say Hi. I've been a long time reader, so I decided to sign up. I'm a keeper of two Aldabra juveniles. Sloth and Morla. We live near Houston. Sloth has some shell deformations and they both had rear right splayed legs. I make sure they excercise everday. They enjoy their time grazing outdoors in their enclosure, when the weather permits. I heat their greenhouse in the winter. We are getting the house ready to sell, so a more solid and permanent housing will be built on the new property.

Morla 20160520_170205.jpg

Sloth20160501_135642.jpg

This was my first day with them.20141031_102827.jpg

This is their current outdoor enclosure. 20160504_180250.jpg

Kelley Smith

Houston, TX
Thank you. They can be photogenic from time to time. Sloth almost always has something sticking out his mouth.

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
Hi! I have one Aldabra named Buddy.
I live in Friendswood. Southeast side of Houston.
Marie
(Mini) in the tortoise forum

Kelley Smith

Houston, TX
Hi! I have one Aldabra named Buddy.
I live in Friendswood. Southeast side of Houston.
Marie
(Mini) in the tortoise forum
Buddy looks like a happy Aldabra. It's good to find a fellow keeper that's actually close to my area. I live near Fulshear. Not too far from the rising Brazos River. I have my fingers crossed we stay above water this week.

Yakisan

Round Rock Texas
Hey I live in Austin and was wondering if there’s any regulations or rules on owning an Aldabra in Texas?

Kelley Smith

Houston, TX
Hey I live in Austin and was wondering if there’s any regulations or rules on owning an Aldabra in Texas?

From what I recall, the Texas Wildlife Commision told me as long as they are not endagered, protected, or a native texas species you can have as many captive bred Aldabras as you can handle without neglecting them. But if its something like a Three-toed Box turtle or Texas Gopher Tortoise, you can only have somewhere around 6-12, since they are a native species. Call the TWC if you have questions on the legality. They were more than helpful when I talked to them. If you live somewhere with deed restrictions (example: homeowner's association) it might not be on their approved animal lists. I hope this helps. Sorry for the delayed response. I Just finished moving closer to the Austin/San Antonio area.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to the group. Those are adorable munchkins you have there!