Howdy, newbie here.

jiakurai

Hey all, I'm jake from the Tampa Bay Florida area. Newer to the tort life, and am excitedly getting into it! I have my own place with a few roommates.

I am getting an African Spur Thigh (sulcata) tortoise this week, and am absolutely thrilled. I was at an associates house, and he had both full grown and a litter of hatchlings and they are the most adorable things ever. Extremely excited.

I've always been a turtle/tort lover, and I've just always seemed to have one in or around the house.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Hello and welcome! I'm across I4 in Orlando [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Be sure to post pictures of your little one when you bring him home! We love pictures!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Welcome! Well you will enjoy it here there are many owners of the big guys here . Don't forget pictures when you get your new baby :) If I lived in Florida I would have a ton of tortoises and turtles!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Are you getting one from his clutch (not litter in the tortoise world)?

jiakurai

I will be sure to upload many pictures! I'm currently in the process of building a turtle table that will have some sort of extension system for when he gets bigger. Kind of like a nicer dining table.

Yes, I am getting him from his clutch, which are few left. I'm not sure how old, but somewhere around 1-2 months is my estimate. I will not be keeping him in a glass aquarium, as I was told not to for various reasons.

I'm super super excited to add him, and am thrilled that he can be my companion for such a large amount of years.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jake, and welcome to the Forum!

Just to set the record straight, your sulcata is an African spurred tortoise, but more commonly just called a sulcata. There is a spur thighed tortoise, but it is a Mediterranean spur thighed tortoise, or more commonly called a Greek tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Please read the links in my signature. I think you will find that it is very difficult to maintain good conditions for a hatchling sulcata in an open table in a heated or air conditioned house. You might want to rethink your strategy before you get too far. Here are some additional links. Hatchlings leave little room for error and unfortunately most people, even long time breeders, are still doing it the old wrong way based on old incorrect assumptions.

Here are some more links:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79895.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

jiakurai

I appreciate the links, but most of it I have researched. I've been researching quite a long time, and it's not a quick decision just because I want one.

I call it a tortoise table, but it's really a large enclosure.

I've been designing, making, researching and having the idea down for two months now. I'm very confident that I will have a very healthy and well kept tortoise :)

As of now, he will be available for pickup Friday morning. I will have many many pictures to share of my enclosure and him adapting to it when it's finished and set up, which should be tonight or early tomorrow morning.