Hows he lookin? (pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie

5 Year Member
How's he look? Growth lines good? Any pyramiding? His skin too dry? Etc.
bfa1ad09.jpg
[/IMG]
6da7dfbb.jpg
[/IMG]
efd344d5.jpg
[/IMG]
4b5bfe4a.jpg
[/IMG]
bdffab9a.jpg
[/IMG]
69f2c035.jpg
[/IMG]
caf9b329.jpg
[/IMG]
7bed1282.jpg
[/IMG]
f48eaf5a.jpg
[/IMG]
742b9120.jpg
[/IMG]
2455868f.jpg
[/IMG]

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Looking really good! Skin might be a touch too dry. Maybe. What's the ambient humidity in his enclosure? Does he have a moist substrate to burrow into for a humid microclimate? In any case, he looks very good. :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Jessie said:
Oh good. His nails or beak aren't too long?

No, both the beak and claws are looking quite good. The beak has about the right amount of hook to it, and the claws are actually a healthy length. Russians (and many other tortoises and box turtles) have naturally long, sharp claws for digging. Those claws look about right. You can tell by the quick inside the claw; it's just a few millimeters away from the point, which is normal in properly worn down claws. :)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Looks Great, The skin Looks A Little dry no problem, you can give him a lukewarm soak or use some vita
shsell!

Jessie

5 Year Member
Thank you all. And I love his pattern/coloring too lynnedit that's why I added a pic of it.
I do give him a Luke warm bath once a week and I apply vita shell after he has dried. The cold side of his room is at about 72 degrees and his warm side is at about 90-95 degrees during the day under his basking bulb. Humidity is at about 40% and I use Cyprus mulch. Idk how to get it higher without using coco coir (I'm allergic). What can I do to help him out?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Jessie said:
Thank you all. And I love his pattern/coloring too lynnedit that's why I added a pic of it.
I do give him a Luke warm bath once a week and I apply vita shell after he has dried. The cold side of his room is at about 72 degrees and his warm side is at about 90-95 degrees during the day under his basking bulb. Humidity is at about 40% and I use Cyprus mulch. Idk how to get it higher without using coco coir (I'm allergic). What can I do to help him out?

Sounds like you're doing the right things. Another thing you might try is top soil or potting soil, but like cypress mulch, they can harbor fungi and fungal gnats unless baked before adding to the pen. If you're allergic to coco coir, though, I wonder if you might be allergic to the soil, too. If so, it's no big deal. He looks fine. :)

Jessie

5 Year Member
Ok I will try adding soil. Where can I find it though? Also how would I bake it?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You can get organic topsoil at places like Home Depot or Lowes, etc.
I have never tried this, but I have heard people use in baking pans or cookie sheets and leave at 200F for say, a 1/2 hour? You may have to do this a couple of times to get enough substrate.

Others may have suggestions?

wosman

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
You can get organic topsoil at places like Home Depot or Lowes, etc.
I have never tried this, but I have heard people use in baking pans or cookie sheets and leave at 200F for say, a 1/2 hour? You may have to do this a couple of times to get enough substrate.

Others may have suggestions?

I'm pretty new at this myself, but I have set the oven at 400F and left the soil in a bakingpan (see pic below) for about 30 min. Or until almost all the moisture is gone from the soil, but then I figure everything has died. Then i pour water onto it to get it all moist.

p.s. it is a nightmare since you have to do this multiple times before you can fill the enclosure, but I've done this a few times now and it works great. no bugs, no fungi. even planted some dandelion in the corner of the enclosure.

http://generationvegan.files.wordpr...-chantal3quartroastingbakingpan6019-large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.