Hows the weather up there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati Ohio
How are you all doing with the this crazy weather? I know here its been freezing rain all night last night and all day today, supposed to be the same tonight then switch to a few inches of snow. I heard you guys up north are getting hit pretty hard with snow. How are you all settleing with it all?

Tyler

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Rawlins, WY. 20 below actual, 40 below with the wind chill. Students have been inside for all recesses, but then we have go stand outside with the ones who get picked up after school. Ice on the inside of the windows in my house. Hot Toddys, hot baths, and a very nice electric matress pad, and we're all happy:)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
20 BELOW!!!! OMG! I can't even imagine that. I thought we had it bad. We got 22 inches of snow, icy rains tonight and you can't even walk out there with the black ice. We paid a guy with a bob cat to come and plow the front of our house and the driveway. Now there is a mountain of snow about 15 ft. high on the side of each house that got the bob cat. It's 27 degrees here now. I keep thinking about my boxies that are out there hibernating. I just pray that they're OK. I wish I took them in now. We haven't had weather like this in a very long time. It's like the end of the world.:(

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
terryo said:
20 BELOW!!!! OMG! I can't even imagine that. I thought we had it bad. We got 22 inches of snow, icy rains tonight and you can't even walk out there with the black ice. We paid a guy with a bob cat to come and plow the front of our house and the driveway. Now there is a mountain of snow about 15 ft. high on the side of each house that got the bob cat. It's 27 degrees here now. I keep thinking about my boxies that are out there hibernating. I just pray that they're OK. I wish I took them in now. We haven't had weather like this in a very long time. It's like the end of the world.:(

I'm sure they are probably ok, remember snow is a good insulater.

Tyler

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I live in the Chicago area- it's pretty crazy right now. We're supposed to get thundersnow tonight.
The lights flickered a few times but thankfully we still have power. My Internet is out though so I'm on my phone.
People are calling it the "snowpocalypse" :p

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I feel so bad for you guys:( I am lovin the California sun right now. Though I heard it was going to cool down. I can not imagine what it would be like to have more than a day of snow. We had one four years ago. It was kind of cool, but I was over it after a few hours.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
It is 33 below actual this morning, with no wind. I stood on the back porch in my jammies and robe this morning while my dogs took care of business and hoped they wouldn't get ice balls in their pads and have to be rescued. All went well. It is supposed to get up to 22 above tomorrow. If that happens it will feel balmy and spring-like after this cold.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
terryo said:

Terry- our weather is so similar. It is comforting to hear another person describe the exact conditions we are dealing with! Fortunately, it is in the 20's so we just have wet snow and no sleet...yet. We were going to hire a bob cat but we gave stone walls along our driveway and we did not want them accidentally damaged. This has got to end soon!!!

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I'm in Missouri and our official snow count was 17 inches, you can't see my car at all because it's buried in snow & the highways are shut down. There are closings all over the place, but my crazy place of employment is open!! I hope I don't have to dig out to go in. Our high today is 10 and tonight is supposed to be -12. I have no idea what the wind chill is gonna be, but flippin cold should cover it! I can't wait for spring to get here!!!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
We have had a total accumulation of 76 inches this month. I am watching a bobcat cut a hole in the snow so my mailbox is accessible. I keep telling myself that February is a short month and we will be able to see the ground in March. It is almost over!! Then we can all start working on our outside Tort enclosures!!! Yipee!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My granddaughter moved home here to Clovis, CA from Montana a few months ago and she's missing the weather in Montana. Me thinks she might be a little "off" (if you know what I mean) (twirls finger in a circle beside her head)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"I am watching a bobcat cut a hole in the snow so my mailbox is accessible. I keep telling myself that February is a short month and we will be able to see the ground in March. It is almost over!!"

Hey Erin-Only us northerners can really appreciate that thinking mentality! It's kind of like an inside joke in a sense. As one of my co-workers said today with great hope in their voice: "Well, in another month and half or so we should see some mud!" For all of you below the snow line-mud is a good thing in the spring, it means the snow has melted (usually)!

I got my plow truck stuck in snow last night while trying to plow out! Then I had to crank up the tractor and put the tire chains on it so that I could pull the truck out. Just doesn't seem right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
The Chicago Public Schools closed for the first time in 12 years. That's how you know this was serious :p

I have more pictures I still have to upload, but here are a few...
Our 2nd story deck:
IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

The roads are still bad- I was hoping to be able to go shopping today :p

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
ChiKat said:
The Chicago Public Schools closed for the first time in 12 years. That's how you know this was serious :p

I have more pictures I still have to upload, but here are a few...
Our 2nd story deck:
IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

The roads are still bad- I was hoping to be able to go shopping today :p

Ah wonderful stuff, we only got a few inches where I am, everything has been turning into ice lately.

Tyler

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Schools are cancelled for tomorrow too! I was surprised since it stopped snowing around 10 this morning. The streets are really bad though.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Snow.jpg

This is the end of my driveway and my mailbox is showing across the street. The mailbox is completely broken but it is frozen into the mound of snow. As soon as it thaw's I will have to go to the post office every day until spring to get my mail and that is a pain. So for once frozen is good. :)

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
CtTortoiseMom said:
Snow.jpg

This is the end of my driveway and my mailbox is showing across the street. The mailbox is completely broken but it is frozen into the mound of snow. As soon as it thaw's I will have to go to the post office every day until spring to get my mail and that is a pain. So for once frozen is good. :)

Now thats some snow!

Tyler

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Now I'm feeling guilty ...... I was complaining earlier that it was cold outside and whining about having to put a fleece pullover over my sweatshirt. (thats cold for here) I am in Palm Springs, Ca. tho - where in the summer its still 90+ degrees out at 10pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.