Huge New Tortoise Enclosure..

Is a fountain sprinkler okay for the torts instead of a soaking pool?

• Total voters

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utica. MI
Hey guys and gals, Its been a while, but ive been a busy woman lol

Ive currently just set up an outdoor enclosure, 61ft by 12ft. giving my torts 732sqft to roam around in. Its been a lot of work, and my neighbors watching me take different grasses from one area to another and planting it makes me seem crazy lol. So appreciate these posts! haha i only have 2 pictures currently, I will post them with this post. I have 6 Sulcatas that i have to keep happy here lol Wish me luck! 2 of my own, and 4 rescues that im housing for the summer.tumblr_n65lkg5voI1tv8g0go1_1280.jpg tumblr_n65lkg5voI1tv8g0go2_1280.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is the tortoise able to submerge itself in the fountain...and easily able to get in and out of it?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You have a lot of room! And we know you are completely sane, so don't worry.
I'm a bit confused about where the actual tortoise enclosure is? Against the fence?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Wow! Six Sulcata. ....

You do have a great space. Looking forward to more pictures when you done.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
Is the tortoise able to submerge itself in the fountain...and easily able to get in and out of it?

im sorry, i should have been more clear on where the the enclosure was, it was a late night last night for me haha. it is the depth of the shed along the back fence. So no it wont be able to submerge itself in the fountain, it wont be close to that at all lol

You have a lot of room! And we know you are completely sane, so don't worry.
I'm a bit confused about where the actual tortoise enclosure is? Against the fence?

Good to know im sane somewhere haha. and yeah, along the back fence, the depth of the shed. lol Its a pretty big space really. Im doing my best, and with a Job, a house and family to take care of, its a lot of work lol it will be perfect over time though i swear! haha

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad too see you haven't left us for good. You have been gone for a while. At least I haven't seen you post. But it sounds like you have been very busy and quite a plate full going on there. Good luck. Looks like you have enough room to do a lot of things there.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
How big are your sullies ?
You place looks so green and beautiful!
Please share more pics when you are done

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Jealous of your room!
And it will be fantastic. Your Sullies have all the time you need; they will be around for awhile!

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
Glad too see you haven't left us for good. You have been gone for a while. At least I haven't seen you post. But it sounds like you have been very busy and quite a plate full going on there. Good luck. Looks like you have enough room to do a lot of things there.

Of course not, haha i dont think ill leave, i might not be active all the time, but ill be here as long as yvonne haha <3

How big are your sullies ?
You place looks so green and beautiful!
Please share more pics when you are done

they are pretty big, im not sure on exact size and stuff yet, when i get these guys i will take pictures and measure them and post and stuff. two of them are small though.

Jealous of your room!
And it will be fantastic. Your Sullies have all the time you need; they will be around for awhile!

yeah ive got a lot of room, but no funds or else i would have this done totally right. i just need some extra money haha

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
I would be sure to add a place that can be used as a self soaking spot...

I will, but it will take me some time to do so. =]

Also, I posted this huge update 2 days ago, but it didnt go through! I didnt even know it until now, so here is everything AGAIN!

0608141710.jpg

This is the Enclosure. It is 61ft long and 15ft wide. Between the two garden boxes, which will have strawberries and asparagus so far, I want to plant 2 others, but im not sure what else yet. Between the two boxes will be the tortoises soaking area, bean shaped. I havent started that at all yet. Where i am standing in the enclosure is going to be a bi-level hide for the tortoises in the summer time. where they can go if its raining or something like that. The shed will eventually have a hole cut into the side of it, probably like a drawbridge door, and the tortoises will be able to freely go inside and out. They do have a long sleeping area inside the shed, I will upload pictures tomorrow, as i have the next 3 days off! woo!! haha I can get stuff done now. Here is another picture. 0608141708d.jpg
This is going to be the bi-level part of the enclosure. I know it looks bad now, but just trust me on this! i promise it will be EPIC! haha

So thats all for now, ill be posting mroe the next 3 days, getting stuff done finally, tons more pictures tomorrow. :D

Goodnight!

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
Okay, so I brought all the guys home, I took measurements and stats, and in this post ill tell you guys all about that. Biggest to smallest, here we go! haha

I used a measuring tape to wrap AROUND there shell, horizontally (from side to side) and vertically around the shell from head to butt.. sorry if its difficult to understand. Also, their weight to, no to the ounce or anything, just lbs. really vague, just to give you an idea.

The biggest one [NoNameYet!] - (female) rescue, age unknown.
horizontally - 31" around
vertically - 41.5" around
20" long
35lbs

Lil' Hen - (female) rescue, around 15 years.
horizontally - 29.5" around
vertically - 38" around
17.5" long
30lbs

Speedy - (male) rescue, around 10 years.
horizontally - 28.5" around
vertically - 36" around
17" long
29lbs

Ted - (female) this one is originally mine, 3 yrs old.
horizontally - 27" around
vertically - 35" around
17" long
16lbs

Gibbs - (to little) originally mine, 2 years old.
horizontally - 18.5" around
vertically - 23.5" around
10" long
5 lbs

Sweet Pea - (to little) rescue, age unknown.
horizontally - 16" around
vertically - 20.5" around
8.5" long
3lbs

My phone isnt charged to get the pictures off, so ill have to post them later tonight, i know guys im slacking lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*shakes head at the shameful slacker* :) Just giving you a hard time. We all know how planned life and real life do not always match up well. :)

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
Whew! What a handful.

Yes i know! I'm hoping to make everybody feel at home here. This year the vegitation wont be as great, but i know over the winter, come spring, everything will be beautiful and ready for 6 hungry torts lol

*shakes head at the shameful slacker* :) Just giving you a hard time. We all know how planned life and real life do not always match up well. :)

yeah, real life is never as easy as expected lol but thats what makes it life, and everything in this crazy universe has to mean something, so we just live it happy and what happens, happens =]

Here is an update as well.

The biggest ones name is now Gandalf the Grey. until she recovers, then she will be Gandalf the White lol. My husband named her. Gotta love him.tumblr_n7m4uvfyuP1tv8g0go1_500.jpg

This is Lil' Hen.
tumblr_n7m4x36ldo1tv8g0go1_500.jpg

This is Speedy, The male. [and boy does he act like one!]
tumblr_n7m4y7Vllh1tv8g0go1_500.jpg
Ted, Gibbs and Sweet pea will be in the next post just so this ones not so long.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
Ted, this one is mine originally.
tumblr_n7m51xP1bG1tv8g0go1_500.jpg
The top is Gibbs, mine originally.
tumblr_n7m57yt2G61tv8g0go1_500.jpg
The bottom is Sweet pea.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Very cool! glad you are able to give all these guys a good home! a couple look like they had a rough start to life :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I never know how to write this so it comes out the way I want it too but... I love the first two. I don't love that they have had the care and the life that has caused them to have the issues you can see so clearly with them. However, those are the types I tend to look for and take in, thus why I say I like them. I hope that was clearer then mud. :)

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
Jacqui thanks, I understand what you mean lol they have been inside the last 2 days, I need to get the plants and stuff inside the enclosure time to cooperate before they go back out.