HUGE POISON IVY

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I'm tearing down an old falling apart bldg. here, and I have been avoiding this part. There's a huge poison ivy vine growing on the part that I'm keeping. It's about 14' tall and 8' wide. While I'm not very allergic, this one could be a bit of a problem. At the ground, the vines are bigger than my wrist. I have decided to drench it with Round up, and tear it down this winter. Of course, the high grass surrounding it is filled with the ground cover type poison ivy as well. Check it out.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Instead of nasty of using nasty chemicals that are far worse than the Poison Ivy itself, try 1 gallon White Vinegar, 1/2 cup salt, and a 1/2 cup dish detergent. It works better and faster than any chemical and is safe to use around people and animals.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
wow! thats been growing a long, long, long time! good luck with the removal. are you planning on any tortoises/turtles living in that particular area? i only ask since you're planning to use so much Round Up, i would be extremely cautious!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Wow! That's some big poison ivy. I'm not allergic either, thank goodness. If you do use the vinegar treatment, it may take several treatments before it kills it and you may have to spread it 12" diameter (or more!) around the base if the stem is the size of your wrist. And its best to put the vinegar treatment on right before the heat of the day. Best of luck in getting rid of it!

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
2 Three toed box turtles
1 Betta fish

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I wouldn't spray, I would cut it off near ground level and let whats above ground dry naturally and remove it later, I would paint the stump with this or something equivalent at full strength to kill the roots. I have used this for removing poison ivy and other unwanted plants and trees and it works great attacking only what you want removed,

Status
Not open for further replies.